I think the Palau Aggressor is becoming a Peter Hughes boat!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just on the Peter Hughes Diving homepage and there's a new destination - Palau! It appears that PHD is going back to Palau with a new boat called the Tropic Dancer, HOWEVER, (pause for dramatic effect)......I think it's just the Palau Aggressor! Is the Aggressor company losing it's Palau boat and moving it to PHD? Or are they going to be getting a new boat in Palau for the Aggressor Fleet and then we'll have two liveaboards in Palau that are from two companies but the same owner?

I know Wayne Brown is the owner/CEO of both companies so it's not surprising that these changes can be made alot easier, but has anyone heard any other details?

Keep in mind, I don't think this is a bad thing, just something of interest.

Cheers!

I think the Fiji Aggressor is becoming the Tropic Dancer and the Palau Aggressor is not changing hands or leaving. Guess we will see.

Wayne owns both companies, but (last I knew) the pacific catamarans are owned by the only franchisee left. His first name is Joe and is a very nice fella. Last I knew Fiji, Palau, and Kona Aggressor'swere the catamarans. Since the Island Dancer is also in Fiji, I'd guess they are shuffling and re-branding a boat to where people want to go, instead of Fiji, where I hear the resort diving is pretty good.

Great point....Fiji Aggressor moving spots, that would make sense. I've heard good things about the diving in Fiji but if I could only do one (based on past reports I've heard) I think I'd rather do Palau. Plus, since I'm planning on going there in January 2011 or thereabouts there will be two boats to pick from. I'm kind of a faithful customer of Peter Hughes Diving or Aggressor Fleet based on the fact that I know both companies styles and they're each very similar and enjoyable. There are other liveaboards that I'm sure are great, but based on the fact that I've always had great experiences with both, I will probably tend to have a preference towards what I know works for me.

Now the only question (assuming this is the case), is will the vessels operate independently of one another with seperate departure dates throughout the week, or will they be virtual mirror images of one another....12 months and I'll let ya know!

I was in Koror the day the Star Dancer departed for PNG with several fuel bladders on deck. Interesting they'd return during a recession, when there are already so many liveaboard and land-based options to choose from. Why not Truk instead, give the Odyssey some competition?

Wayne owns both companies, but (last I knew) the pacific catamarans are owned by the only franchisee left. His first name is Joe and is a very nice fella.

Wouldn't that be Dan?

- Clay

I was in Koror the day the Star Dancer departed for PNG with several fuel bladders on deck. Interesting they'd return during a recession, when there are already so many liveaboard and land-based options to choose from. Why not Truk instead, give the Odyssey some competition?

I didn't even know that the Star Dancer hangs out in Korror! I think when the Sun Dancer II used to operate in Palau, the Star Dancer used to double team with is up in Palau from December to March and then come back down to PNG. Now they have their south coast of New Britain Island itinerary during those months. Were you in Korror recently when Star Dancer was there or was this a while back?

(I'm actually headed out on Star Dancer in t-minus 3 months! I'm starting to hyperventilate!)

Do you guys think this new Tropic Dancer in Palau is a good move? I for one think Palau seems like a superior dive destination to Fiji, what are y'alls opinions?

(I'm actually headed out on Star Dancer in t-minus 3 months! I'm starting to hyperventilate!)
?

.......drool..... :drummer:

I didn't even know that the Star Dancer hangs out in Korror! I think when the Sun Dancer II used to operate in Palau, the Star Dancer used to double team with is up in Palau from December to March and then come back down to PNG. Now they have their south coast of New Britain Island itinerary during those months. Were you in Korror recently when Star Dancer was there or was this a while back?
May 2002, and you're right, it was the Sun Dancer. I just remembered it as "the Peter Hughes boat" and put that together with Star Dancer when they went back and forth to PNG, but now you dredged up an earlier memory from my 2000 trip to Yap where I recall chatting with a group of divers in Guam who just got in from Palau and were wearing Sun Dancer T-shirts. All those fancy names just confuse me. Why can't they take the Aggressor's cue and rename it the Palau Dancer?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom