Grand Cayman vs. Turks/Caicos Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R/R

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
We are planning a liveaboard dive vacation and have narrowed it down to Cayman Aggressor or Turks/Caicos either with Aggressor or Explorerventure. Any help with the decision would be appreciated.

Those are both excellent places to dive in the Caribbean/Atlantic. I've been to both places, and would say it's a toss up, you can't go wrong.

The beauty of the beach on Turks and Caicos on Provo/Grace Bay is still one of the most beautiful beaches in the world.

There is more to do on Grand Cayman than on Provo., so if you are thinking about seeing whats on the land then Grand Cayman might be a better bet.

Sometimes the waves are too rough for the Cayman Aggressor to cross, I still consider Little Cayman to be the top place in the Caribbean for diving, only to be seconded by west Caicos.

We are planning a liveaboard dive vacation and have narrowed it down to Cayman Aggressor or Turks/Caicos either with Aggressor or Explorerventure. Any help with the decision would be appreciated.

Since I'm slightly biased, I'll just ask - when are you traveling? Our Turks & Caicos boat is in Puerto Plata right now for the Silver Banks humpback season, and will be back in the Turks & Caicos in mid April, as will the T&C Aggressor.

Hope you'll join us,

- Clay

I've done both the Cayman and the T&C Aggressors. Both were outstanding and I would highly recommend either of them, but I'd give the marginal edge to the Cayman Aggressor. The diving and crew I thought were just a little better. Granted I was a young (well maybe not so much) and impressionable new diver at the time, and it was my first liveaboard. Also bear in mind that crews change and may be completely different by now on either boat. If you'd like more details feel free to PM me. Really you can't go wrong with either IMO.

I've been both places also but I think I might choose T&C. While I'm not a shark fanatic, it was pretty neat to seem them on virtually every dive. They often circle the boat.
Caymen is good too but if you can't get to Little Cayman (bloody bay wall) or can't stay long, I'd be extremely disappointed as I was on my last trip. Maybe I just had a bad trip or something but I just didn't find the diving very interesting personally. None of the divers on the boat were excited (after the trip) compared to other liveaboards I've been on.
Don't let my comments worry you if you choose Cayman. Hopefully you'll enjoy either.

i did Cayman Aggressor as my first liveaboard & T&C Agressor as my second - both were great trips & quite similar in many ways. Neither is a bad choice so you can relax & look forward to whichever you choose.

My trips were c. 3 years ago - so the crews may have changed - but most other things will not have.

As mentioned above - the best part of CAIV is little Cayman. BB wall is a must see. T&C wins the shark viewing competition.

One difference not mentioned above is that i greatly preferred the underwater terrain in the Cayman Islands. In both places, you generally jump in over a shallower shelf then fin across to the wall & descend to a depth of your choice to explore the wall.

In the Caymans, the shelf is around 6m. In T&C its often nearer 15-20m. This leads to longer dives in Cayman with a really good 20 min 'safety stop' as you explore the beautiful shallows. In T&C, my log shows we had fewer 60 min dives as we decended directly from the deeper 'shelf'.

Also the top of the wall in Caymans has so many swim throughs whereas in T&C there are comparatively few.

On balance: T&C for more sharks - Cayman for more interesting terrain.

Hope this is of help. PM me if you'd like any specific info.

cheers

These are all great posts to answer this question. I've often considered which Caribbean destination I would pick, but mine was between T&C, Cayman, or Belize - probably via the Aggressor Fleet. I liked the comments about the terrain, not enough is said about that - most people want to know about sharks and other big stuff. But even though you've all been helpful, this diver is STILL torn! Guess I'll have to do both one day! :D

These are all great posts to answer this question. I've often considered which Caribbean destination I would pick, but mine was between T&C, Cayman, or Belize - probably via the Aggressor Fleet. I liked the comments about the terrain, not enough is said about that - most people want to know about sharks and other big stuff. But even though you've all been helpful, this diver is STILL torn! Guess I'll have to do both one day! :D

I go through these decisions almost every year. If you are really open and want to save a few dollars and want better and more varied diving than all the places you've listed, try the Utila Aggessor. Excellent.

Clay,

We are planning our dive trip May 22-May29.

Rick

Hi Rick -

We and the Aggressor will both be back in Provo by then - the trips and itineraries are very similar. Our boat's a bit bigger in terms of common space (3 decks) and the rooms are a bit bigger, but the T&C Aggressor is in my mind one of their best-run boats and nicely appointed. On average their price is higher, but they're running occasional specials, as are we - May 22-29 is one of our recently-announced $500 off weeks, actually, which makes the cost anywhere from $1,395 pp up, and we still have space left on that trip.

I hope this helps! I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself whatever you decide.

Best,

- Clay

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom