Galapagos v.s. Cocos Island in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seagal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am trying to decide which would be better? I would like to travel mid-July. I would like to see the most large pelagics possible. I have about 110 dives logged and I would like to do some more advanced diving that allows me to have amazing animal encounters! Which place is better during July? Cocos or Galapagos? I would really like to see some whale sharks. Is it whale shark/whale season in Galapagos during this time? I would like to know from someones personal experience! I was also wondering which liveaboard is the nicest? Thanks!!

Also...I am planning a trip in the end of march also... Not really sure where to go to see the big stuff? Any tips? Thanks! :D

Can you even get on a Galapagos boat in July? Aggressor (both boats) is all sold out this year afaik.

The end of March is the start of Whale Shark season in Belize. It's also mid-season on Utila but that's snorkel only.

2010 SPLASH DIVE SHOP WHALE SHARK SEASON DATES

March 28th - April 8th
April 26th - May 6th
May 25th - June 5th
June 24th - July 4th

http://splashbelize.com/whalesharkpackages2009.aspx

Last edited:
I don't know about the Galapagos but July is supposed to be prime time for Cocos. As a matter of fact, I have just signed up for a trip in July of 2011 that is being led by one of the members here on ScubaBoard. It will be his 12th visit there and the mid summer is the best time to go. I do know those trips generally sell out in advance and that's why my buddy Steve books the boat so far ahead of time. But with the way the economy has been, you may be able to still find some spots available for this July.

Ironic question since I've been debating this very topic for the last few months. I managed to contact a close friend who is a pro underwater photog. He agrees that June-August are prime Cocos times. He worked on the live aboards and dived therefor many years. In fact we decided to head out there in June.
Good Luck.

I know what equipment you'll be using Ash! :)

We think you will not go wrong on either pick for pelagic encounters as they are world class dive destination s for them. It will be a lot colder diving in the Galapagos than in Cocos if that makes a difference.
We were in Cocos this past October with the Undersea Hunter Group and besides seeing hundreds of Hammerheads and other sharks such as Silvers and Galapagos sharks we were fortunate to have two Whale shark encounters, one was the largest we have ever seen and the other a young one which stayed with us on the whole 60 min. dive just awesome! we were lucky to see the whale sharks though as our group and skiff saw them while the others did not that is how it goes you do need to be lucky and for both the Galapagos and Cocos you have the best chance to see them in the months of October thru early Dec. and if you can try to go around the full moon as it is partly due to the tides that help with encounters. March into early may is another good period to increase you odds.
If you want to make a play for whale sharks in late march we suggest you may want to think about Placentia Belize, contact Splash Dive Center, they can let you know the best dates to increase you chances and Utila Honduras would be another good place to try for that time period contact Utila Dive Center.
A new found hot spot for whale sharks is also Donsol Philippines where they are seeing multiple sharks on a single dive more less in a day or a week!
If you are interested we have a group trip going to Socorro Island out of Cabo San Lucas Mexico this Dec. which is another world class dive site for pelagics we will be diving with Mantas, Sharks and More and it is a very easy trip to make for what you will see. Check out our 2010 trips on our website @ Home

Thank you guys for all your help. Looks like I will be diving the Galapagos July 2010 :)

Have a great trip!

And please be prepared for the difficult diving conditions you will encounter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom