Wetsuit thickness for Nekton Rorqual Mar 27th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wags684

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be on the Nekton leaving on Mar 27th, and am wondering what thickness, if any, wetsuit I need? I am not normally one to get too cold, but I also dont normally do 5 dives a day either. Any recommendations?

I'm sure many people are going to give their opinion as they always do when this question is asked. IT ALL DEPENDS. I always take a 1mil skin along with a 3mil shorty and use that combination for all tropical diving. I might us a 1mil while a very good friend uses a 5 mil on the very same dive. IT ALL DEPENDS. My suggestion it keep a basic log book long enough so you know what you wore that last time you encountered similar conditions. You didn't indicate where you are going (we could look that up course) but you can usually find average temps for various times of the year by location on the internet. With your log entries you can then decide what's best for YOU. I don't keep a log book anymore but I kept one long enough to get a feel for wetsuits and weight.
Enjoy your trip.

I would take a 5mm fullsuit, hood and/or if you have it a hooded vest. You will definitely get chillier than normal doing so many dives. I know, by the end of the week, most people are doubling up on suits as their core body temp has dropped. If topside air temps are warm it helps, but you will still feel a drop.
In fact, on our Nekton trips, we kept the A/C in our room down on low. Take sweatsuit pants and a jacket to wear in evenings and some socks. Seriously, the salon area gets chilly at night. :D

As said above, there isn't one answer about wetsuit thickness. Matching water and air temperatures to your personal comfort zone will determine the suit. For example, I would be baking using Robin's suggestion, but that's likely because she is used to a warmer climate than I am. So there is no wrong answer. I read about people using 7 mm suits in Florida. For me, 7 mm suits are for the 50° water we have here in Monterey!

I have been diving in San Diego waters (57 deg water) with a 7 mm, so I agree with you Shasta_man, that would be way too thick. I will be on the Mayaguana trip, off Turks and Caicos. I am thinking 5 mm should do the trick, but it turns out Nekton doesn't offer wetsuit rentals, so I will have to find other alternatives to get one... bummer :( Thanks for the responses.

Wags, see you there! I'm taking a 5 mil suit as water temps have been 71 to 74 degrees.

Steve

For most, a 3mm body suit seems like it works best as temps will be near 80F. You'll get a touch cold after dive #3 but nothing that a beanie or hood couldn't cure.

I will be on the Rorqual the week before you. I am taking a 3mm steamer with a seperate hood. That is what I find warm enough for water in the 72 to 77 degree range. Temps were 71 last week for the water in Myaguana. They were 75 higer up the Bahama chain in the Exumas, where I waqs on the Aquacat last week.

Buy a hyperstretch type if you buy one. Very comfortable, warmer due to that snug fit, easy to get on and off.

Just got off the boat - dove all week with just bathing suit and occasionally a t shirt. Never even shivered except after a long session where I was trying to be as still as possible while watching reef critters.

All the crew wore the same.

All the passengers, on the other hand, were covered from head to toe - some with some pretty thick stuff. Reminded me of ice diving!

Sure seemed like a lot of trouble, getting in and out of all that gear in such warm water, but when I talked with them about it, every one of 'em insisted that the water was cold as all get out and they couldn't conceive of leaving all the neoprene behind!

"MC"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom