Nekton Mayaguana Trip Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rand

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took my first liveaboard trip on the Rorqual to Mayaguana 2/20-2/27/10.

Here is the quick version, you may read on if you want further details:

Overall, I really enjoyed the trip. The boat and crew were great. The food was excellent. The diving on Mayaguana was so-so.

We had 17 passengers on the boat.

Air temps: 68-73
Water temp: 75
Slight-Moderate currents on most of the sites
Moderate-heavy winds all week
Choppy seas most days

Walls start at 55-60 feet
All sites had a deep wall and most had a shallower sandy area with scattered coral mounds to do a shallow profile if you wished.
I felt there was a lack of fish life, possibly due to many lionfish.

The Nitrox is still not fixed. Those who used it reported maximum percentages of 25%. Not worth $195 for the week in my opinion.

The land tour absolutely sucked. I would not consider going back to this destination as long as that land tour is part of it.

I did 25 of the 26 offered dives on the trip.

End quick version. Now the rest of the details…

We had air temperatures of 68-73 for most of the week. Water temps were a consistent 75 degrees. We had a couple squalls blow through and choppy seas for about half the week, making for some tricky exits at times. We had 55 knot winds one day that ripped a large section of the sundeck canopy off. The crew said the previous week was dead calm. Most of us wore 5mm full suits, some with hoods. One guy wore a shorty and he was complaining about being stung by stuff on just about every dive. I didn’t find that to be a problem. All of us were cold getting out of our suits in the strong winds after the dives. We even turned the heat on in our cabin a couple nights. Definitely bring sweatshirts and long pants if you are going there anytime soon.

The crew is still in the process of installing mooring balls at various sites around the island. There were about 4 setup when I was there. While we dived a site with a mooring line, the crew sent out a work detail on a skiff to scout out a future site and drill and cement a pin and line there.

Because of the lack of established mooring sites, we did re-visit some sites and they also had us do “drift” dives where there were no places to tie up to. They were drift dives in procedure, but there was little to no current. I liked the “drift” dives the least as we had to enter, dive, and exit as a large group (10 in one group, 7 in the other). We had to start our safety stop when the first person hit 1000psi, which was about 30 minutes into the dive.

I ran out of deco time on several dives due to the depth and not having reasonable Nitrox percentages to dive with. They really need to do something about their compressor/membrane.

I felt that the fish life was lacking compared to other places I’ve been (Caymans, Roatan, Curacao, etc.). There was an abundance of lion fish and I suspect they may have had something to do with the small fish population. Even the parrot fish were fewer in number than I’m used to. There were several barracuda, Nassau groupers, squirrel fish, jacks, and damselfish on just about every dive, but it was a big deal if you found an eel, a crab, or a banded coral shrimp.

The boat is about due for an overhaul, which the captain told me is going to happen in August. He also said the Pilot needs to clear the drydock by that date so the Rorqual can come out of the water and take its spot.

A few people had damp carpets from the notorious poor air conditioning system. The boat is also waiting for a part for the ice machine, so ice was limited. I found my mattress totally sucked and got very little sleep the first night. I told a crew member about it and several mattress pads were added to it before I returned from my next dive.

We had one incident where the mooring line snapped in high winds/seas (the mooring pin was fine, the line rubbed and frayed on contact with the boat in the waves). I happened to be right under it when it happened. The crew acted immediately, powering up the boat and recalling the divers. The boat then maneuvered to pick up the two groups that the passengers ended up assembling into. They also had to wrestle the skiff back on board in the rough seas, and for a few minutes, I thought it might sink as much of it was underwater. However, they performed as a cohesive unit, and got everyone and the skiff safely back on board. It was quite impressive. They all should have taken an immediate nap after all that, but they announced lunch 5 minutes later and the crew was there, filling drinks and clearing tables. Outstanding.

The crew seemed genuinely happy to be there and were extremely attentive to passenger needs/wishes.

Since this is a new itinerary, they are still working out a few bugs. For instance, the brochures they mailed out about 3 months prior to the trip stated the boat would be docked at Nikki Beach on Provo for departure. However, the LDS I booked through told me about a week prior to the trip that Nikki Beach was closed and the boat would be somewhere else, but had no info where. I ended up calling the number they had on the provided luggage tags when I arrived and took a taxi to the boat at the South Dock commercial area.

The commercial area has no facilities to wait in, and because we couldn’t board until 7:30 PM, most of the passengers ended up spending several hours sitting on concrete walls or whatever else they could find while we waited for the boat to open. It would have been a lot worse if it had been raining. There isn’t much around the commercial dock, save for one restaurant, a gas station, and a poorly stocked 7-11. The cab ride was $13 per person each way. Ask the driver to take you to a convenience or liquor store prior to the dock.

We hit another snag with customs on Mayaguana. We tied up at about 9:30 the first morning and had to wait for the customs people to come out to the boat before we could go anywhere else. They didn’t show up until after lunch, so we ended up doing 3 dives on that site (we got there a bit too late to get the first morning dive in, so only 4 dives were done the first day).

The worst part of the trip was the mandatory shore excursion to Mayaguana. It was $25 each, which included a crappy buffet dinner (the boat food was much, much better) and an island “tour”. We had to take skiffs out to a crumbling concrete/rock area that used to be a pier. Several people got scraped up on either the skiffs or the rocks getting there or back. We then had to board a rickety bus that sped through the various areas of the island, not even slowing for us to take photos (not that there was much to photograph anyway). All during this, an island representative on the bus repeated her sob story about how the island population has been dwindling since the US Navy deserted the airbase there in the 1960’s and how “you people”, as she called us, need to help them by buying land there. It came very close to being a timeshare sell.
After our rapid tour of pretty much nothing, they dropped us off at what I guess was the “best” resort on the island. More sob stories were told, and we had an awful buffet dinner that I would equate to what is served at a fast food seafood restaurant. You had to pay for anything other than water to drink, on top of the $25 you already spent for the tour/meal.

They then turned us loose to do nothing for nearly 3 hours. The resort has a very dirty beach and only two run down beach chairs outside. Most of us wandered the garbage for as long as we could stand and counted the minutes until the bus returned. It was agony. They couldn’t get me out of there soon enough. I would suggest you horde some food the day prior to the trip and skip it (dinner is not served that evening on the boat). I realize the island wants to build their economy, but they were going about it the wrong way. I returned to the boat vowing to never do this itinerary again as long as this tour was part of it.

That tour put a black mark on what was, up until then, a very good week, all things considered. The cheery, positive attitude of the crew, and their willingness to take care of the passengers really made up for what a lot of the dives lacked. I definitely plan to take another trip with Nekton to another destination, and I hope many of the same crew are there when I return.

We had Kris as captain (Jonathan was training him--Jonathan is leaving for the Kona Aggressor in April). The rest of the crew was Kendall, Bryan, Todd, Bud, Jessie, Beth, Davy, Neil, and Mercedes, the cook.

Thanks for the report! Nice job.

Safety stops were started at about 30 minutes into the dive at 1000 psi?! That's another fifteen minutes until 500 lbs.

Mandatory shore excursion that you had to pay for and no dinner that night?!

Thanks for the report! Nice job.

Safety stops were started at about 30 minutes into the dive at 1000 psi?! That's another fifteen minutes until 500 lbs.

Mandatory shore excursion that you had to pay for and no dinner that night?!

I should clarify that on the 3 dives that we did as "drift" dives, we were on walls. I averaged about 80-90 feet on those dives. The DM had us begin our ascent to the safety stop when the first person hit 1000 psi. I didn't have a problem beginning the ascent at that pressure, I just know that most of my dives average 40-45 minutes and I had enough air when we began ascent to go at least another 15 minutes on those "drift" dives. I preferred the regular, moored dives, where I was free to dive and surface at my pace.

We knew about the mandatory shore excursion ahead of time and that it was an additional cost to each of us and knew that the ship would not be serving dinner onboard that night. The buffet on land was terrible and we ended up eating it at about 4PM, getting back on board at 6PM, which was the normal dinner time. They made some snacks for us after we got back onboard, knowing that we ate early and might be hungry later.

I completely understand the reason for the shore excursion, that they are trying to promote visitation of the island. I just disagree with how it was conducted. Everything felt like it was being forced upon us, at least in my opinion.

Again, that was the only real gripe I had with anything the whole week.

Thanks for the report! Do you think the windy weather/rough seas was part of the problem with so-so dives? Or the lack of fish?

I wonder if the shore excursion was mandatory for boat refueling (by coast guard regs) or if it was a contract with the local gov't for letting the Nekton come there? Sounds like there was some underlying reasnn for it.

robin:D

Thanks for the report! Do you think the windy weather/rough seas was part of the problem with so-so dives? Or the lack of fish?

I wonder if the shore excursion was mandatory for boat refueling (by coast guard regs) or if it was a contract with the local gov't for letting the Nekton come there? Sounds like there was some underlying reasnn for it.

robin:D

I didn't have a problem with the wind/waves as far as impacting diving. If I think the exits or the dive will be tougher than I'd like to handle, I'll skip the dive. I didn't feel the need to skip any dives. Some others didn't want to fight the current or seas to get back on and skipped a number of dives.

The lack of fish was the main reason I call the diving so-so. There was just a very noticable lack of fish life present. I found I had to really hunt for something I felt would make a good/interesting photo. In other places I've been, there were plenty of subjects to photograph that just jumped out at you. There was a severe shortage of juvenile fish, at least in my opinion and I think as the lionfish continue to devour all the small fish, the situation is going to get worse.

As far as the shore excursion goes, fuel wasn't the issue as they did not refuel onsite and the captain said they topped off their tanks in St. Croix due to the lower cost of fuel. They also were running on only one engine to save fuel costs.

I'm sure there is a corresponding reason for the shore excurision and the location of this itinerary. The island wants visitors and development and Nekton wants a new and interesting location. I don't have a problem with promoting island development, but I just don't want it jammed down my throat.

The site topography and coral life was good. There were dramatic walls, drop offs, and many cracks and large swim thrus. Lots of large coral formations and generally healthy reefs in my opinion.

I'd be interested to hear others' opinions on the diving there. For me, I like the boat, crew, and services Nekton provides and will dive with them in the future.

Interesting that the shore excursion was mandatory. On all of our Nekton trips going ashore was always optional. I definitely will remember this before booking another Nekton trip, as I definitely would NOT book a trip that requires me to leave the boat mid-trip. Thanks!

The Nitrox is still not fixed. Those who used it reported maximum percentages of 25%. Not worth $195 for the week in my opinion.

Any reputable diveop would have refunded your $$$ that you paid for nitrox. Besides $195 is a complete ripoff to begin with.

Another reason that I'll never dive with Nekton.

PS> Go with MV Spree to the Dry Tortugas. There is no separate charge for Nitrox or at least there wasn't last year when I dove with them.

Rand,

I'm diving on the Rorqual in May out of Lauderdale. Were all the rooms having AC troubles or just a few? Anything else about the ship we should know?

I'm glad to hear the crew is good, that can make up for just about any problem.

Rand,

I'm diving on the Rorqual in May out of Lauderdale. Were all the rooms having AC troubles or just a few? Anything else about the ship we should know?

I'm glad to hear the crew is good, that can make up for just about any problem.

Room 1, port side, middle floor, right next to the galley, was the one that I have direct knowledge of having a damp floor. A couple days into the trip the carpet got really wet and they had to keep changing towels over it to make it anywhere near tolerable.

I had room 7, starboard side, middle floor, first room on the bow. It was great (after they added the mattress pads). The bathroom door had a bit of rust on the bottom and took a little effort to open and close, but it was very minor in my opinion.

I'm not sure what the room number is, but middle floor, starboard side, right off the salon was complaining about being able to hear the TV through the wall late at night. No other issues with that room that I'm aware of.

I don't know of any other specific rooms that had any issues.

There were a few spots in the salon under the tables near the AC vents that had some really damp spots. Now that I think about it, the appeared about the same time Room 1 started having problems. Those spots dried up a day or so later and there were no further problems with them.

One of the crew told me that they took who they wanted from the Pilot crew and weeded a couple others out that they didn't want. I guess that is why they all work so well together. I was very surprised to learn how little they make (some as low as $75/wk), so make sure you tip them well.

Any reputable diveop would have refunded your $$$ that you paid for nitrox. Besides $195 is a complete ripoff to begin with.

I didn't use nitrox that week, so any applicable refund wouldn't have applied to me. Their site states that for any fill under 26%, they will refund your individual tank cost or pro-rate your weekly nitrox cost. I didn't ask any of the nitrox divers if they were going to try to seek a refund.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom