Red Sea diving safari - SS Maidan part of intinerary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Deep South Red Sea Technical diving Safari

Leigh Cunningham & Alin Ardelean

Are proud to present, in association with Faisal Khalaf at Red Sea Explorers, a one week, Deep
South, Technical diving Safari, on board MV Tala, http://www.redseaexplorers.com/

Recreational and Technical divers, OC and CCR, at all levels are welcome.

The Safari is scheduled for the 1st week in December 2012 (1st – 8th) 1st Dec, all guests should
be on board Tala, late evening at the latest, (transfers from Hurghada airport to the marina and
back at the end of the trip are included) we will depart early morning on the 2nd, heading to
Elphinstone Reef.. On the 2nd evening we will sail overnight to Daedalus Reef, after a day at
Daedalus, (3rd) we will head overnight, Deep into the Marine Park, spending the next 3 days at
Rocky Island , Zabargad, St Johns Reef and Fury Shoals, (4th 5th & 6th) on the 6 evening we will
head North overnight back towards Hurghada. 7 th Two dives in the morning then back to the port
around 2 pm. The last night will be spent on the boat at the marina in Hurghada, or in a hotel. 8
the Disembark and get to the airport in time for the flight back.

For our hypoxic/adv trimix/tec2/CCR mod3 divers, there will also be an opportunity to dive the SS
Maidan.

Built by W Hamilton & Co (Glasgow), the Maidan was launched in March 1902 and officially described
as Steel Screw Steamer. A very large ship for her day, she displaced 8,205 gross registered tons
and, in 1919, was fitted with a brand new 4 cylinder quadruple expansion steam engine capable of
producing a top speed of 14 Knots - built by Messrs D. Rowan of Glasgow. She was 152.4m (500
feet!) long, 17.7m wide and had a draught of 10m. The Maiden now rests between 80 and 120 meters
off the shores of Rocky Island. The safari has be planned to include the best reef diving /
topography / coral formations, pelagic marine life and Ship Wreck, the Red Sea has to offer,
combined with logistical support from the best specialized technical safari boat in the Red Sea
and hosted by the most experienced technical divers in the Red Sea.

Leigh Cunninham’s Mini Bio:
“To call him a character would be an understatement, but beneath the eccentric exterior lurked a
diver with levels of discipline and skill I have rarely seen on my travels.
Leigh Cunningham is a tekkie fanatical to the point of fundamentalism. He likes to break depth
records, race motorbikes through the Sinai Mountains. And generally live life on the edge.”
(www.Divernet.com, Chris Boardman)
Leigh was born in Britain, 31st August 1968, he started his diving career in Israel in 1992 with
CMAS 1 + 2 star and PADI dive master course, after 2 years working on a dive safari boat (MV
Sunboat) conducting charters in the Southern Red Sea, he spent a year in Central America exploring
deep dive sites in the Caribbean, then moved to Egypt, Dahab, where he soon became a recreational
instructor.
His proximity to the “Blue Hole” in Dahab, where he worked, sparked his interest in diving deeper.
He was aware of the “Blue Hole’s” reputation for claiming divers’ lives, and as such, embarked on
training and education to give the site the respect it deserves.
Leigh says, “It’s a bit like the steeplejack – he will only fall off once. When you do this every
day, you have to be prepared every day.”
With six dives below 200 meters, 20 dives between 150-200 meters and more than 500 dives below 100
meters to his credit, Leigh is no stranger to deep diving.
To date Leigh has been diving for 20 years and held three Red Sea’s depth records with dives to
220m and 240m in 2002 and 205m in 2006. (Link: Tehnical diving (list of
records)
In 2007 Leigh explored and surveyed two deep caves in the Ras Mohamed National Park in Sharm El
Sheikh, with continued exploration in 2008.
In 2009 Leigh completed GUE technical diver training along with expeditions in Tunisia diving the
HMS Manchester, Lebanon diving the HMS Victoria and Sri Lanka diving the HMS Hermes.
It has been 17 years since he began his journey through the technical diving education required to
facilitate this kind of diving, and Leigh is now a CMAS 3 star instructor, NACD and NSS/CDS
Technical Cave Diver, GUE Technical diver, SDI Course Director, TDI Adv Trimix Instructor trainer,
PSA Advanced Trimix Instructor Trainer, IANTD Adv Trimix Instructor, DSAT Tec Trimix Instructor.

Alin Ardelean’s Mini Bio:
Alin was born in Oradea, Romania, on the 23rd December 1975
Alin started scuba diving in the deep, dark end, when he joined the Romanian speleological society
at the age of 15.
Two years later Alin began OW scuba training with NAUI, and began working for the only NAUI and
PADI dive center in Romania at that time.
After working in the diving industry in Romania, Alin broadened his horizons by moving to Bodrum,
Turkey where he worked as a dive guide for two years before continuing OW training through to
SCUBA instructor.
After two years of working as a SCUBA instructor Alin progressed through the ranks to dive center
manager and continued working in Turkey as dc manager for “Motif Diving”
Alin moved to Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, 8 years ago, shortly after arriving he found a passion for
Technical OW diving and after completing open circuit courses through to Trimix Diver, expanded
his knowledge and training by moving on to CCR diving.
Alin is currently the dc manager for Colona Divers in Marsa Alam, Egypt, and with 20 years of
SCUBA diving experience ranging from Cave diving, OW, open circuit and CCR Technical diving
through to SCUBA instructor and dive center management, and has a wealth of diving knowledge and
experience, second to none.
Aside from Technical CCR diving, Alin likes to ride his motor bike through the Sinai Mountains and
very much enjoys a game of Snooker.
To Date Alin’s Diving qualifications include:
Membership to the Romanian Speleological Society, PADI Specialty Instructor, TDI Extended Range
Diver, IANTD Trimix Diver, BSAC CCR Diver. Protec/CMAS Mod 3 CCR Diver

Prices: are in Euros:
Minimum number of guests 12, maximum number 18
12 – 15 guests = charter fee 1200 per person
16 – 18 guests = charter fee 1000 per person
Included: 7 nights on board (last night either on board or in a hotel), 6 days diving
(min 3 dives/day, last day 2 dives), full board & soft drinks (water, tea, coffee, Coca,
Sprite), local transfers, dive guides, 3 single (stage bottles) tanks per day, weights.
Not included: Flight/visa, diving equipment, alcoholic beverages, Nitrox, Helium, Sofnolime,
tips for crew,
Port Fees and fuel surcharge: Deep South Marine Park 100€ per person
Booking: 50% deposit required post booking, (wire transfer to Red Sea Explorers) upon request by
Leigh Cunningham or Alin Ardelean, Full payment upon arrival.
Cancellation policy: No refund after deposits paid.
All Rental and Bar tabs: are paid aboard upon return to Hurghada
All divers are required to show proof of technical or recreational diving certification and diving
insurance upon arrival.
For additional information and booking please contact Leigh Cunningham at highpp02@yahoo.com or
Alin Ardelean at alin@fisheyeimaging.com

Oh, wow! I wish I could do this. I've done two trips on the Tala, and it's hard to imagine how you could have more fun on a liveaboard. The support for all kinds of diving, from shallow monkey dives to technical diving, is superb. And the price for this trip is GREAT!

Have fun, you guys.

Oh, wow! I wish I could do this. I've done two trips on the Tala, and it's hard to imagine how you could have more fun on a liveaboard. The support for all kinds of diving, from shallow monkey dives to technical diving, is superb. And the price for this trip is GREAT!

Have fun, you guys.

The price it's so accessible becuse neither Leigh or me are not doing this for the money. It's more a personal project and a willing to share. It could be done cheaper but not on the boat like Tala. From far, it's the best tec safari boat in Egyptian Red Sea. Why you don't join us? There are some very cheap regular flights from US to Egypt...

Oh, I wish I could, but this year has been very tight on travel money, and the one trip I'm desperately holding onto is our November cave diving trip to Mexico.

I'd love to spend another week with a bunch of fun people on the Tala. The two trips I've made have been fabulous.

Oh, I wish I could, but this year has been very tight on travel money, and the one trip I'm desperately holding onto is our November cave diving trip to Mexico.

I'd love to spend another week with a bunch of fun people on the Tala. The two trips I've made have been fabulous.

Yeah, Mexico sounds great as well, I hope next year I can go there as well

Last edited:
Still having spaces available:

1. Leigh Cunningham
2. Alin Ardelean
3. Gunn Brumoen
4. Gary Smith
5. Mervin Wilkinson
6. Cath Bates
7. May Jakobsen
8. Soren Bowadt
9. Henriette

Don't miss the chance of a great diving week in December!

Every time our group it's getting bigger I'll post the changes so here we go:

1. Leigh Cunningham
2. Alin Ardelean
3. Gunn Brumoen
4. Gary Smith
5. Mervin Wilkinson
6. Cath Bates
7. May Jakobsen
8. Soren Bowadt
9. Henriette
10. Das Fuller

Don't miss the chance of a good week of diving in one of the best places in the world, Red Sea. Still having spaces available for the trip in december. Here is the updated list with the participants:

1. Leigh Cunningham
2. Alin Ardelean
3. Gunn Brumoen
4. Gary Smith
5. Mervin Wilkinson
6. Cath Bates
7. May Jakobsen
8. Soren Bowadt
9. Henriette
10. Das Fuller
11. Didier Lautru (tbc)
12. Jaap Voets
13. Jan Dankers (tbc)

For more info don't hesitate to contact me

Anyone interested in a good week of diving in one of the best places in the world, Red Sea? Still having spaces available for the trip in december. Here is the updated list with the participants:

1. Leigh Cunningham
2. Alin Ardelean
3. Gunn Brumoen
4. Line Barø
5. Randy McNalley
6. Cath Bates
7. May Jakobsen
8. Søren Bowadt
9. Henriette Bowadt
10. Didier Lautru (tbc)
11. Jaap Voets
12. Jan Dankers