Manta Queen 1 Review (December 15 to 19, 2013)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hibernatingpanda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just came back on a 4D/4N trip on the Manta Queen 1 with Khao Lak Scuba Adventures (KSA). I've posted a review on tripadvisor but this one will be more in depth and targeted to divers.

I love liveaboards and would highly recommend this operator to anyone looking for a budget liveaboard, a short trip and some fairly good diving in Thailand. I was a little skeptical before going on this trip because there weren't many reviews regarding KSA. I am happy that the trip proved to be excellent. I'd like to do KSA a little justice by posting this review.

We did 14 dives over the course of the trip starting off in the Similan Islands, then to Koh Bon, Koh Tachai. We were unable to head to Richelieu Rock (unfortunate) due to legitimate weather concerns so we went back to Koh Bon instead. Last two dives were Boonsung Wreck (loved it) and Premchai Wreck. Transfers to and from the operator were included in the package.

The Boat
What you would expect on a budget liveaboard. Nothing fancy, but everything is neat, tidy and clean. Dive deck is a little small, but they have divers go out in two waves which solves the issue. Nitrox is available (partial pressure blending) with analyzer and usual procedures followed. Showers at the stern for post dive clean up and a close by the dive deck are three individual toilet/shower units.

For photographers - there is no camera table or designated area for placing cameras other than the camera tank/bucket. There is not enough space. So if you have a tray and strobe setup, just be aware.

Next deck above is where guests eat and hangout. Decent sized saloon with a large comfortable sofa/bed with plenty of pillows, TV and shows/stuff to watch in between dives. Lots of fish identifying guides and books for people wanting to put a label on their pictures.

Sun deck above with mattresses for those interested in getting a tan.

Clamps are available on the ship, and each guest gets a towel.

Food was good - again nothing fancy, but it's good food! Bacon, eggs, sausages, cucumber, tomatoes and fruit for breakfast with bread/french toast etc. Lunch and dinner is usually a mix of Thai food with rice. Gained a couple pounds on this trip - enough said!

The Diving
Dive operations are well run - the crew is very safety conscious. 5 minute safety stops throughout the trip and SMB deployment before surfacing every time for those wondering.

One thing that I wasn't so keen on is that every diver is grouped under a DM/instructor depending on whether they're doing a course, consumption rate, Nitrox or whatever. This means that, unlike some other operators, you dive with the group and your DM throughout the trip. I know some divers like to do their own thing after following the guide for a bit but on this boat, you stick with the DM. To be fair, the dives are all on the deeper end averaging between 25/30 metres and the dive sites can be a little tricky for people unfamiliar with them. Current can be very strong and navigating the dive sites can be tricky due to that. Koh Bon and Koh Tachai were the most tricky in terms of current and because of that, there is merit to diving as a group, with a DM throughout the trip. For beginners, no worries man! The current can be strong but it's nothing dangerous and you will definitely be able to handle it - it can be quite fun!

There is a fair amount of boat traffic so SMB is deployed every dive and to also inform the boat crew for a pickup.

What we saw
I'm more of a large creature kind of guy so I was looking forward to seeing mantas and whale shark. Unfortunately I didn't see either - although another dive group from our boat did see a manta. Our boat did not see any whale shark but apparently another liveaboard did 20 minutes before we hit the water in either Koh Bon or Koh Tachai.

In no particular order, I saw reef sharks, turtles, lots of moray eels (especially honeycomb moray in Boonsung wreck), ghost pipefish, lots of trigger fish (feisty, those ones), porcelain crabs, snappers, trevallies, a napoleon fish/humphead wrasse (cool!), some squid in the distance just chilling and swimming (sweet), stonefish, scorpion fish, porcupine fish, puffer fish, octopus (love them) some nudibranchs and more.

Overall, the diving is decent and fairly good. Nothing that will blow a seasoned tropical diver's mind but for the price and ease of travel for divers in Asia, it is still very fun diving.

So if anyone was wondering whether Manta Queen 1/KSA is good - it's a solid boat, with excellent, friendly and professional dive crew, well run operation and definitely worth the visit.

(y)
w.png

Thanks so much for a fairly well written review. I have always wondered why do budget liveaboards in Thailand last 4 days? For a US traveler that is a really long way to go and to terminate the trip after 4 days would not be sensible. Would you recommend signing up for 2 back to back liveaboards with a little break in between?

Can you tell more about living quarters? Likes and dislikes? Parallels with other operators? Things you noticed this operator was different that other ones you read about your been to... How were the towels, how was the crew accommodating, examples, etc.

Thank you for the information. Do you remember if they have a place to charge the batteries? Is there power plugs in the cabins?

Can you tell more about living quarters? Likes and dislikes? Parallels with other operators? Things you noticed this operator was different that other ones you read about your been to... How were the towels, how was the crew accommodating, examples, etc.

The other liveaboards I've been on have been in the Caribbean (Explorer Ventures and Blackbeards) so I can't offer much comparison between MQ1 and their direct, local competitors.

The living quarters were a little tight - I believe the maximum size was 4 per cabin. Bunk beds. I was lucky in that I was sharing a 4 person cabin with one other person only. With 4 people it'll be a little tight, but not a big issue since most of the time I'm out of the cabin.

If I recall correctly there was only one towel during the whole trip.

Other than that, there wasn't much out of the ordinary or different compared to other operators. They do group divers and assign a DM/Instructor to each group, and I understand that some divers like to do their own thing and some operators do allow divers to do their own exploring.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2014 at 12:18 PM ----------

Thank you for the information. Do you remember if they have a place to charge the batteries? Is there power plugs in the cabins?

Each bunk bed has a power plug/socket. I only had to charge my camera battery once during the trip so I just left it on my bunk bed charging.

---------- Post added September 25th, 2014 at 12:22 PM ----------

Thanks so much for a fairly well written review. I have always wondered why do budget liveaboards in Thailand last 4 days? For a US traveler that is a really long way to go and to terminate the trip after 4 days would not be sensible. Would you recommend signing up for 2 back to back liveaboards with a little break in between?

I'm sure there are other operators with a longer itinerary in the area, and I believe I saw some during my research. I prefer week long itineraries personally, but because of work and all that, 4D/4N was sufficient.

Someone on my trip did what you asked, and booked back to back trips. There is a day and night of rest between the trips I believe. Perhaps you could dive other spots? If you're travelling all the way from the US, you could hop between destinations?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom