Someone post a good PNG trip report.....preferably from the MV Febrina....any takers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ewaiea

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I really miss reading good trip reports about PNG. Anyone been there recently to either north or south New Britain Island? What about Milne Bay, Tufi, or Kavieng, or Loloata (near Port Moresby)???? I am in the midst of a count down and I just got inside the 6 month mark before I go back.

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but I recently cancelled a confirmed booking on the Febrina and demanded (and got) my deposit back. I just did not like the company's attitude and felt that they too too much for granted.

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but I recently cancelled a confirmed booking on the Febrina and demanded (and got) my deposit back. I just did not like the company's attitude and felt that they too too much for granted.

That's one of the first negative reports I've heard about Febrina before - I appreciate the heads up. I'm pretty much committed though. My booking company is out of the UK - Equator Diving - and they've reserved the boat. I think they even send one of their trip directors along on the trip.....boy I wish I had that job!

One interesting thing about Febrina - they apparently allow you a glass of wine with dinner but anything extra before/after dinner (or additional with dinner) is kept informally on your tab....but you can bring your own drinks onboard if you want. I may buy 4 or 5 bottles of wine in Australia and try to bring it with me to PNG so I can enjoy it on the boat so I don't have to pull from their stash.

I'm used to the regimented and organized nature of the reservation office of Aggressor/Dancer Fleet so this is my first liveaboard with a different company. I am hopeful the trip will go well - I have a very special friend coming along with and it will be her very first liveaboard dive trip. I did the 2010 trip on Star Dancer and REALLY wish they hadn't moved the boat to Thailand, but hey....as long as I can dive that amazing area again that's what matters to me.

It would be interesting to hear anything more specific on your concerns Hintermann.

Most of the boats I have went on had the wine with dinner for free, everything else costs policy. I don't have time for drinking on the trips so I hadn't found it a hinderence, but I suppose it could add up. The question is what's more of a hassle, paying extra or carrying bottles during travel, only you can answer.

I'd love to hear the best ways to get there. We're booked on Fabrina in late July and I've been battling the extremely complicated flight schedules for arrival. It seems that you need AT LEAST an extra day--maybe two--on either side of your departure and return dates and that planning a night at Walindi on both sides is probably prudent. Air Niungini's schedules, from what I understand, are more suggestions rather than connections. We're flying to Brisbane and out from there. I travel quite a bit but I have to say this has been the most challenging round of flights I've ever booked. I'm learning a lot but would love to hear recommendations or experiences from those who've made this trip.

What a coincidence I'm on the Febrina in late July to. I just played dumb, and left all silly details, like flights, connections, and reservations, in the hands of the people I'm traveling with. Hope it works out.

I really miss reading good trip reports about PNG. Anyone been there recently to either north or south New Britain Island? What about Milne Bay, Tufi, or Kavieng, or Loloata (near Port Moresby)???? I am in the midst of a count down and I just got inside the 6 month mark before I go back.

I've been to Milne Bay recently, and while I'm too lazy to write up a trip report, I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about it if you want to pm. In 4 trips to PNG, I've been there on parts of 3 of those trips and the diving and Tawali are top notch. Have been to Tufi and Loloata as well, but not recently.

---------- Post added April 6th, 2014 at 12:27 AM ----------

I'd love to hear the best ways to get there. We're booked on Fabrina in late July and I've been battling the extremely complicated flight schedules for arrival. It seems that you need AT LEAST an extra day--maybe two--on either side of your departure and return dates and that planning a night at Walindi on both sides is probably prudent. Air Niungini's schedules, from what I understand, are more suggestions rather than connections. We're flying to Brisbane and out from there. I travel quite a bit but I have to say this has been the most challenging round of flights I've ever booked. I'm learning a lot but would love to hear recommendations or experiences from those who've made this trip.

Unfortunately, I can tell you from first hand experience that almost any horror story you've heard about Air Niuigni is probably true...although I've had some trips that were without incident. I'm not sure how you are getting from Brisbane to Port Moresby, but if you have the option of flying Airlines PNG instead for the domestic leg I'd say they're the lesser of two evils. I'd say it's a bit of a crapshoot sometimes to expect on connecting all the way in/out through POM in the same day, I wouldn't say you'd need to give yourself two days buffer, one should be fine with, depending on scheduling, maybe planning an overnight in POM each way...or even better maybe giving yourself a day or two to stay/dive at Loloata (very near POM) if you have the time on your trip. The good news is the diving in PNG is worth the travel hassles!

Mike, the good news is that your flights are booked...I think. The bad news is that we're on Air Niuigini. This will, undoubtedly, be an adventure.

Hey Everyone. I'm currently working in Lae PNG so I've had the opportunity to dive on the Febrina on the May 1-7 2014 trip. I've posted my report on TA. I was lucky as I only had to fly from Lae but the americans and even the aussies made the trip from outside on PNG seem like hell on earth. Well, you need to relax and keep an open mind. Flights can sometimes get delayed, not excessively but they are on time more often than not. I would highly recommend staying over in Australia one night and then taking a night at the Walindi. I wouldn't stay overnight in POM. The money you'd spend on a rat hole over there you're better off staying at Walindi. It's nice, comfortable and you're already there.

The diving is quite good. I would compare it with the Mike Ball trip to the ribbon reefs except the corals, whips and fans are much much much bigger and healthier. The walls are fantastic with so many caves and crevices and swimthroughs. Always something big coming out of the deep blue...grey reefies, eagle rays and the turtles are not shy. They will eat the sponge right out of your hand.

If you get a hard time from the PNG airport check in crew just let them know you've got dive gear in your bag. That takes care of the weight issue.

Will be heading to kavieng to dive at Nusa in 10 days...anything I should look out for??

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom