Live aboard: Raja Ampat vs Fiji 2015 trip

Help me decide!

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Satto95

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have been debating this for over a year in my head, with my dad, with my friends, and now its time that I release me frustrations with picking a place.

Here's what I want:
A 10-11 day live aboard
Amazing sea life, diverse
Amazing colors
A place where the "big kids" in the scuba world dive

Here is my assumptions according to my research
Raja Ampat:
PROS:
  • More Diverse sea life
  • More off the beaten path so therefore corals and such are in better condition
  • Where all the enthusiasts go
  • Always on the top 10 diving places on Earth lists on multiple sites
  • Cheaper
  • Larger "scale" of fish schools

CONS:
  • Less colorful
  • Dirtier water, less visibility
  • Harder to get to
  • Dangerous country (???)

Fiji:
PROS:
  • More colorful
  • Easier to get to
  • Overall better experience
  • Easier to get to
  • More sharks (of course)
  • Safer country when traveling to dock
CONS:
  • Too touristy
  • Bleached out corals galore (according to some folks)
  • Not impressive when compared to RA (anyone want to clarify this)
  • More expensive
  • Less diverse

This is according to groups and swaths of people. Please clarify on things.

Let me know your and/or someone you know experience

If I go to Fiji I will be on the Nai'a:
Fiji Scuba Diving on Liveaboard NAI'A

If I go to Raja Ampat then on Black Manta
Here is the Black Manta itinerary, note that the trip is so long that they go to various places along with Raja Ampat:
White Manta Diving - Ambon, Banda, Ring of Fire, Raja Ampat

I have been to both places on the Nai'a and a larger boat in RA (Dewi Nusantara (highly recommended)).

Raja Ampat:

PROS:

• More Diverse sea life
  • More off the beaten path so therefore corals and such are in better condition - not necessarily - good liveaboards in Fiji go to places which aren't frequented by the resort divers. My 7 day Nai'a trip went between the two big islands. I would say due to the tremendous number of little islands in RA, that you will probably find more coral gardens.
  • Where all the enthusiasts go
  • Always on the top 10 diving places on Earth lists on multiple sites
  • Cheaper - The boat price is probably the same, but airfare could be cheaper to RA due to higher fees going to Fiji.
  • Larger "scale" of fish schools

CONS:

• Less colorful - NOT THE CASE AT ALL. I saw many beautiful coral gardens and other amazing places in RA.
  • Dirtier water, less visibility - WHAT?! The water isn't dirty per se where you are diving, it's full of particulate that's food for the food chain which is why every critter in the ID book is there. The more particulate, the more critters, the more big critters to eat those critters, etc. You don't want clear water because that generally means less food for food chain which attracts less.
  • Harder to get to - yup
  • Dangerous country (???) - Not really unless you travel specifically to unusual islands where Muslims are the majority and you are not a Muslim. Bali is mostly Christian and very safe besides normal crime associated with any large area.

Fiji:
PROS:

• More colorful
  • Easier to get to
  • Overall better experience - THIS SEEMS LIKE A CONCLUSION but based on dubious assumptions.
  • Easier to get to
  • More sharks (of course)
  • Safer country when traveling to dock - Not true in the sense that traveling to the dock in Indonesia is just as safe.
  • ADDED: Some of the friendliest people in the world

CONS:

• Too touristy - YOU ARE BASING THIS ON THE WRONG PART OF FIJI. If you go and get on the Nai'a and just visit people in that part of Fiji, it is not touristy.
  • Bleached out corals galore (according to some folks) - AGAIN, depends on where you go.
  • Not impressive when compared to RA (anyone want to clarify this)
  • More expensive
  • Less diverse - Technically, you can probably find more little critters in RA, but they ou have more sharks in Fiji, but then there are the cool wobbegong sharks in RA, but I saw a zebra shark in Fiji, etc, etc.

If I went on these trips, I would do Fiji then RA. If you do RA, then go to Bali afterwards for land tours.

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 03:05 PM ----------

I warn you that if you have not been on a liveaboard for 12-14 days (typical RA trip length) then you must pace yourself to make it through the marathon of 4-5 dives a day for that many days. It starts to get to be surrealistic to be at 80 feet at 7:30 AM, and it's difficult for the ears to deal with up and down and wet and dry.

---------- Post added July 7th, 2014 at 03:06 PM ----------

However, being on a boat that long gets you some pretty awesome EXPERIENCES from local people to amazing critters and views. It is worth every cent for us.

Thanks for the reply! I'm for Raja Ampat ATM. And its a bit cheaper..

I dont think you would go wrong in either place..I have been to both countries and loved the diving. I dove with a former crew member of Naia in an spectacular place in Fiji ( namena) and he claimed Naia went to that place and even more remote, pristine , awesome places. Fijians are pretty friendly too. Never felt unsafe especially outside cities. Fiji first then RA is very good advice...frankly you probably would love either...lifes tough with choices like that imo...ha ha. Btw if you choose RA your group may like Bali too for diving and non diving. Very cool place. Fiji has good topside beach hiking fishing etc too...take a lot of time and pictures !

Agree with lamarpaulski. Yes, the Nai'a spends some days at the Namena Marine Preserve and has some pretty cool places. It goes to many of the dive sites Fiji is famous for. Agreed that Bali land is pretty cool too.

If I went on these trips, I would do Fiji then RA. If you do RA, then go to Bali afterwards for land tours.

Can I ask why you would do Fiji first and then RA?

Hi Satto95

Tthe Ambon-Sorong crossing trip goes to little explored seamounts with variable currents and visibility. The boat arrives in southern RA only during the last few days of the trip. The nearest hypobaric chamber is not close, nor is medical help, so the trip does require very good diving skills and self-sufficiency. most divers use AL tanks, with dive time 50-60mins+. It's a wonderful trip.

Last edited:
Haven't been to either. Curious about one of your con.s and would like you to expand on it a bit.

'Too touristy.'

A couple of thoughts come to mind. First off, when in a strange place far from home, an area where people are used to American tourists can be a plus. I figure you're more likely to find more people who are fairly fluent in English. No small thing in some foreign countries. Secondly, you plan to do a live-aboard. Are you planning to spend a lot of time on a land portion of your trip? If so, will you be traveling to major attractions (e.g.: they Pyramids) or hanging around some local city? My point is, if you're out on a boat, what does it matter whether the town you sailed out of had a McDonalds or not?

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom