Kona Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
July26-Aug.2. The most disappointing liveaboard I've been on. The seascape was barren with bleached corals and minimal fish. I'd compare it to a doctors office aquarium. Although the night dive with mantas was a thrill,it was also a circus with a crowds of divers. The Aggressor itself is comfortable,but in in need of renovation. The crew did their job but that was all. There was little humor,unity or genuine pleasure shown in their work. I wouldn't recommend this to any diver.

Last edited:
Sorry you had a bad time Klynch. I was on the Kona Aggressor back in February and really enjoyed it. I wouldn't say it was the best diving I've ever done but well worth it.

I particularly enjoyed the night dives. We ended up doing two Manta dives and "Pelagic Magic." Pelagic Magic was unlike anything I have ever done before. It took me a while to warm up to it but about 10 minutes in I started spotting many different zooplankton to keep me entertained for 45 minutes. Unfortunately most of the other divers bailed before 10 minutes and by the end of the dive it was just myself, another diver and Captain James remaining in the water.

I agree that the manta dive is circus. I counted 13 other boats at the site before we went underwater. I thought this was where the Aggressor shined. We were able to wait out all of the other boats, since we were going to be moored there for the night, and for the 2nd half of the dive had 20 mantas to ourselves. I am not familiar with the land based boats off of Kona, but from what I saw the Aggressor is the best way to do the manta night dive.

One good thing about going in the winter is whale season. We actively went whale watching during our surface intervals seeing many pilot and humpback whales. We also saw many spinner dolphins.

I thought the crew did a good job. Captain James really impressed me running around skippering the ship, taking video, leading dives, and pursuing whales. I don't think he slept. The food was great, prepared by chef Chris, and I really enjoyed diving with and getting to know Hale (who I thought provided a lot of humor), Dave, Mindy, and Matt.

The one flaw I found was that crew was over worked. I have seen this on other liveaboards as well and may explain why you didn't see "humor,unity or genuine pleasure shown in their work." Personally I think the crew should be given Friday afternoon off and cancel the cocktail party. Most guests wanted to get on land and see a bit of Kona anyways. It would go a long way to make a happy crew which makes happy guests.

I would recommend the Kona Aggressor to other divers, at least from my experience.

Last edited:
Hey Klynch, thanks for the review, or warning. Seems like the Kona Aggressor gets wildly varied reviews.

What were the water temps on your trip? Any Dolphin or Shark sightings? Nudibranchs???

@TerrapinDiver

I'm thinking of diving the Kona Aggressor next Feb-Mar-April and was wondering when in the "winter" you went? I think whale sharks are still around in March but wasn't sure. The other concern is how cold the water is. Can you maybe give me an idea of what the water temps were when you were there?

thanks
Alexandra

I've also done the Kona Aggressor and had a great time. Dive team was great. I will admit that the landscape was quite different from what I was used to on the Caribbean side but that aside a pleasant change. No lack of thrills with the Mantas and yes Pelagic Magic was a highlight.

Moray, I couldn't agree with you more. My husband and I just returned from Kona last week and our trip was less than mediocre. As you said the seascape was barren with minimal fish. The manta ray night dive was simply amazing. The crew seemed tired, with the exception of Chris who brought much needed life to the party.

If you have a dietary restriction, DO NOT rely on the chef to accommodate. The chef nor the crew understand cross-contamination or the seriousness of such dietary restrictions. if you have celiac disease, BEWARE. We caught the chef putting soy sauce in the main dish and we had to tell him that there was wheat in the soy sauce. Really??? After several close calls, my husband decided to have boiled eggs (only) to ensure his safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom