Difference in number of dives between Blackbeard and AquaCat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jen35711

New
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm a relatively new diver but love the idea of a liveaboard. In reviewing the differences between Blackbeard and AquaCat, it looks like Blackbeard dives 4x a day while AquaCat dives 5x a day. Anyone know why there is a difference? Is AquaCat more serious while Blackbeard laid back? I am aware of difference in price, but I thought that was more of a reflection of the boat/space/etc.

Also, I'm considering the northern Bahamas area since it seems a bit more "beginner-friendly."

Thanks for any insight and help you can offer :)

I don't know why they would do fewer dives on Blackbeards, but the price difference is certainly a function of space & amenities - don't think it has anything to do with the number of dives, that's not really where their costs are. (If a liveaboard gives a discount to non-divers at all it tends to be very small.)

In my experience very few people do all the dives on a liveaboard when 5 a day are offered anyway, especially after the first day, so you may decide 4 vs. 5 is not a major factor. But there's such a dramatic different in price and amenities between Blackbeards and Aquacat that it shouldn't be that hard to decide between them.

I think it's crew load and the schedule. Blackbeards sails Saturday afternoon and returns Friday at 9AM. I think it also could be price related - squeezing in 4 dives plus night dives daily puts a bigger strain on the crew and there's less of them on Blackbeards so they may have other duties during mealtimes and others. Theoretically a crew member also needs to be available to lead any dives if asked - in practice I rarely see them get off the boat to dive.

How many dives per day? Normally 3 to 4 dives per day, including night dives, as long as weather is not a factor. We generally offer 3 or 4 night dives on 7 day trips.
On the main page it says 19 dives total. So maybe they count the night dives as the 4th dive per day? Not unheard of, I dove at an AI resort where the 4th dive per day was always the night dive.

Aquacat works Sat- Sat so there's Friday morning to dive also.
Divers will have the opportunity to do up to 5 dives a day Sunday through Thursday, including night dives, as long as weather is not a factor. Two dives will be offered on Friday.
So there's 27 dives possible.

For the price difference you'll have a much better liveaboard dive experience on Aquacat. Unless you like camping - then go with Blackbeards. Personally I like having a private en-suite cabin with unlimited hot water so I'll pay the difference. I also like the space - three decks vs. one, eating outside at a real table and just more room to roam around. You couldn't pay me to take one of the couples bunks on Blackbeards - they front the galley.

Another possibility if you're flexible in your schedule, ask Aquacat about slow weeks - they may either offer a discount or you'll get your own cabin on board. Happened once out of four trips for my buddy - one trip two women each had their own cabin - at the double rate.

Last edited:
Thanks for your feedback! I didn't know if the difference in number of dives made that big of a difference - but, as you said, most don't do all the dives. So, it sounds like the bigger issue is space/privacy. Which, I think I'll just save a little more and pony up for AQ.

Also, thanks for the tip on asking about slow weeks. While I don't have much flexibility in my schedule right now (law school), it doesn't hurt to ask! I was trying to work in a "last minute" trip over December break (12/17 - 1/5), but if they are all booked I might have to wait until after the end of Spring semester.

Thanks again guys!

How do you feel about Saba/Statia/St. Kitts on the Caribbean Explorer II? http://explorerventures.com/necaribbean/index.html

It's an $1895 trip (plus $115 in port fees and a possible $200 fuel surcharge) They're offering $300 off the week of Dec. 20-27. You fly into St. Kitts and out of St. Maarten - they turn the boat weekly. 18pax/9 cabins and they currently have space available.

They're also going to do 5 dives/day. An interesting thing about that trip is they also offer optional shore excursions once or twice during the week. One on Saba and one on St. Kitts. Our own NetDoc's (SB's owner) trip report is featured in trip reports on their website.

Here's some idea of Saba diving - not my video:

[video=youtube;Wdzv96WkYyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdzv96WkYyI[/video]

Last edited:
I just did a Blackbeard's trip last month. Blackbeard's boats (they have 2)and the AquaCat were at the same dock. Blackbeard's departed on Saturday afternoon and returns Thursday afternoon. Stay on the boat Thursday night at the dock. I'm not sure when AquaCat actually returned to the dock, but the boat was there and emptied in the morning; and I even got a chance to tour it before catching my cab to the airport. It also departed the same time we did on Saturday afternoon.

Blackbeard's was a lot of fun, and I plan to be a returning customer. The bunks were small and the galley table only fit about 7, but I had no problems eating my meals on the deck. The food was incredible, btw. It was all about diving. With the sun setting so early, we did night dives every night. If I was married or bringing a girlfriend; I'd probably pay the extra for Aquacat. My trip was solo, and all about diving; so, Blackbeards was perfect.

Aquacat seems like a non-diver would have a good time. That boat had paddleboards available (maybe a kayak too), and it seemed roomier. The galley tables looked big enough for everyone to sit inside. I think Aquacat also has nitrox.

Aquacat does have Nitrox, and normally does the common (for Caribbean liveaboards) arrive Friday afternoon after a couple dives in the morning, and you leave the boat Saturday morning.

It's a big boat. The inside dining/lounge area has enough room for everyone to sit at the tables at one time. Also enough room for almost everyone on one of the couches at the same time. Also enough room for everyone to be on the sundeck level at one time, if they wanted. (The crew seems to partly eat sitting on the coaches by the TV, and partly at the tables with the guests, as the mood strikes them.) There's a rear deck with a couple tables outside where everyone goes for the dive briefing that can probably seat half. And a small front deck off the dining area with a few chairs outside. Dive deck with plenty of room. Relatively large cabins for a liveaboard, with private baths. Yeah, it's roomier. :wink:

Thanks for the recommendations. Honestly, I'm open to anywhere and everywhere. But, in my quick research, it looks like getting to those places is significantly more expensive. However, I will move that option to the top of the list and keep an eye out for airfare. I'm in San Diego, so going across the country starts to add up...

Btw, I've read so many mixed reviews on Mexico's pacific coast that I don't know what to think!

Thanks again for the advice!

---------- Post added December 20th, 2014 at 01:29 AM ----------

Glad to hear you had a good time on Blackbeard's. Yeah, my only focus on this trip would be diving. While I have no doubt that the other boats/amenities are quite nice, I'd prefer to experience the "baseline" before I start working my way up :wink:

Thanks for the review!

I have been on the AC twice and enjoyed every moment. While somewhat more expensive than the Blackbeard, it boils down in simple terms to the difference between a 3* and a 5*, specifically with respect to accommodation and overall facilities. For the latter, I suspect that the Blackbeard may not have the resources/capacity to do 5 dives per day, but for 1K you really can't beat the price.

Back
Top Bottom