Local Grinds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Heading our way and would like to know about some local grinds (for those that can't figure it out by reading the thread grinds=foods :D)?

I've complied a few quotes into one thread and grouped them according to Island. If you wish to add anything to the list - feel free to post here and I'll add it to the right island! Please include more than just the name of the place and location. :wink: Thanks!!

Thanks to everyone for their great information!

Last edited:
Here are a few suggestions for the Big Island of Hawaii

liokai:
No need to go to Oahu, you reside in Malasada heaven. Go to Tex's Drive Inn in Honokaa. My friend Jack Malasada (not his real name, but he likes to be called Mr. Malasada) picks up a box for me when ever he comes to

Next time anyone comes to Kona you should try the "Kona Natural Foods" lunch counter next to Safeway and Oodles of Noodles. Lightning fast service, healthy food, broke da mouth grinds.

gkndivebum:
Long black piggie from Killer Tacos in Kona. (Longboard burrito with black beans and kalua pork).

Montyb:
Hi all:
How about Ono - Fish and Chips at Quinns in Kona....We eat there everyother day for the 2+ weeks we are in Kona each year.

friscuba:
The absolute best value for the buck (at least into last year, haven't been there lately) for years has been the Hawaiian Style Cafe up in Waimea. They basically are a plate lunch place that gears to the cowboys (historically, the first cowyboys in the US were in Hawaii, taught by Argentine caballeros) in the area... lots of food for 6-8 bucks, tasty too. I try to get up there every couple of years just for thrills. Portions are nearly double (sometimes more - try the 2 eggs and bacon (12 or so pieces) with pancakes) of anything in Kona

Best in Kona, according to me: Huggos
FATdiver:
On the Big Island, try the Manago Hotel in Captain Cook. This is just like my grandmother used to cook. If you go on the weekends they serve ogo as an appetizer.

Ann Marie:
Breakfast at The Kona Beach Club Bar and Grill Kona Brewing Company > Home

S0ckm0nk3y:
How about Tako Taco in Waimea on the Big Island. Mmm chicken green chili stew and tasty burritos. Fine beers (14 taps) that would make a pacific northwesterner proud. Pretty soon they'll be brewing their own beer. Tom the owner was once the brewer from Maui Brewing Co. Yum!

-Eric

Last edited:
Where to enjoy a good meal on Maui:

WileEDiver:
Maui breakfast at Longhi's on Front Street in Lahaina town

backtanner:
For Kehei specific - Maui Tacos (Found some chicken in my hair burrito at your Taco Bell last year)

For Maui in general - Definately Kobe's. Well worth the drive.

Mauidiver42:
I just moved from Maui, and already I miss plenty places... You hit the fish market right on, but, you can't forget Alexander's FishMarket in Kihei, as well that Thai place in the corner of Azeka's II.
Now, I know it's not local, but, I have yet to find a better mex place than Fiesta Time in Wailuku... Talk about ono!!! Their steak torta reminds me how they make it in Gardena, CA. Plus, I'm surprised no one mentioned Sam Sato's or for lunch plate Da Kitchen!
Ok, I'm getting hungry again, and I just finished eating my 'opelu kala and mu I jus caught

osujamesc:
I'm here on Maui, so here goes my favorites

Lunch or Dinner:
Cheeseburger at Paia Fish Market (the cole-slaw has crack in it, I'm sure of it)
Chicken Katsu Plate Lunch at Hana Hou (in Haiku, the owner comes out and plays his guitar and sings tons of songs. This is the best place to bring visiting family cause it's like a dinner with a free show.)
BBQ Ribs at Hali'imaile General Store.

Dessert:
Warm Macadamia Nut Pie with a side of ice cream at Jacques in Paia (dinner is pretty good, but the dessert is why we go).

catherine:
Best in Lahaina, according to me: David Paul's

KrisB:
I'm not sure about the West Side... I know that Cheeseburgers Island Style in Wailea is good (and reasonably priced) -- perhaps Cheeseburgers in Paradise (part of the same chain) in Lahaina is also?

If you're on the south side... check out Da Kitchen for a broke da mouth Teriyaki Burger. Because of the juices, you have to flip it over -- the bottom part of the bun is usually saturated with the teri sauce dripping out of the patty

Kaanapali Mixed Plate and Aloha Mixed Plate (Lahaina) are both great local-style places.

The Hula Grill in the Whalers Village is also a nice place to eat, and I've enjoyed Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. in Lahaina as well.

BJ's (Lahaina) is not to be missed if you're looking for some pizza/pasta at affordable prices.

kidspot:
Next time we dive together up North here I'll have to introduce you to the Chinese seafood buffet ... no seafood in the buffet, but definitely a step (or two) up from Panda express. You can order seafood off the menu however. It's on Wainee st. across from McDonalds (In Anchor square but facing the ocean)

Charlie99:
[FONT=&quot]Check out Fine Dining on Maui ???[/FONT]

Pirate49:
Fish Tacos and Old Style Mai Tai's (that is plural or more than one for those who failed math class) from Leilani's at sunset after a long day of diving.

Last edited:
Lots of ideas for Oahu

Ch0ppersrule:
my favorite is the Kalua pig/pork sandwich from Da Big Kahuna's (off of pu'uloa st). A little hole in the wall place, but they are busy all the time. cheap but really good food. they only have 4 or 5 tables. they are da best : ) let them know you are new and would like to try the garlic cheese balls (they give you them for free).

speaking of buffalo wings- the best place for hot wings is Dirty Lickins in Aiea. Get the hot-- best flavor. Good prices, especially for the lunch specials (that you get at anytime of the day).

DennisS:
Three of my favorite spots were in that Ward St area: Kua Aina, Balle -the Vietnamese sandwich shop next to the sports store, and the BBQ place, Dixie Grill - this restaurant is no longer on Ward. You can find the main restaurant in Aiea, across the street (their pig out special is incredible) I think its called a combo.

justleesa:
Kalua Pork Sandwich -The "restaurant" - Keneke's is right next to the 7/11 - Gas Station in Waimanalo. It's also a hole in the wall place with a couple a tables out front and a few on the side that are sheltered.

Update 8/31/11: Keneke's now has a 2nd loacation - You'll find it in Punalu'u on the Mauke side of the road. It is bigger than the Waimanalo location. You can order and wait inside and it has lots more seating than the other location, and the tables don't wabble around either. It's nice and cool and they even have a TV running - Should be nice if there is a sports event or something you don't want to miss.

Bob's Bar-be-que on Dillingham, near where the grocery outlet used to be.

I had noticed that when ever I drove by the place was booming, so yesterday we thought we'd give it a try. We went for the Rib combo: Beef Ribs, shrimp, 2 scoops of rice, 1 scoop of mac on a bed of cabbage for under $11.00. It was enough for the two of us. It was messy and they didn't have a place to clean yourself up...but it was great!

Makino Chaya at Aloha Tower and Pearlridge - All you can eat buffet with: Maine Lobster, US wa Gyu Beef Steak, Soft shell crab, Miso Butterfish, Jumbo shrimp, Alaskan King crab, Sushi and lots more. Lunch under $13 pp and dinner under $26. Birthday Seniors over 65 and Juniors under 7 eat for free. All other Birthday babies get 50% off. I give it **** our of 5 for taste and value.

We had lunch at the coolest place today! It's called Brasserie Du Vin and can be found in China Town on Bethel. The atmosphere is fantastic! I would have sat there all day if I could have.

Bravo near Circuit City in Pearl City. You get these great little garlic balls/buns/rolls with your meal (free refills) and the food is fantastic. Fresh, original and colorful. We really, really enjoyed our meals there. They even have an Illima award for their service and cuisine

Cinnamon's in Kailua - Great atmosphere, interesting menu. The place seem pretty popular so be prepared to wait for a table. The only offer Breakfast and lunch. Here is a link to their website

secondcoussens:
I second Bravo's as a good Italian place. I've actually never eaten there, only had take out and the food was really good, and big portions, and yeah those garlic roll thingy's are really tasty!

What I want to know is where can you find really good Chinese food on Oahu? We have yet to find a place we love. The best we have found is a place called Pauoa Chop Suey (on Pauoa St.). Tasty and decently priced.

jjardin:
My wife likes to go to Ahi's. That place was kind of a dump.

Roy's is pretty good (for people who like to spend every dime they have on "fusion") broke da mouth & da bank account.

I like manapua, kalua pig, fried poi, anything that fits in my mouth. Nothing like a plate lunch. Cheap & good.

Teds Bakery in Sunset is worth the stop.

Thalassamania:
Plate Lunch" almost anywhere
**restaurant has reopened under new management**
For "fine dining:"
Crouching Lion
51-666 Kamehameha Hwy, Kaaawa
808-237-8511

jjgibo:
well since everyone is chiming in with there favorites, me personally i like giovanni's shrimp truck in kahuku, kua`aina for burgers, maui tacos for well mexican with a little local flavor, and palominos for a nice intimate dinner, thatÃÔ just me though.

Lopaka:
The Kona Brew Pub in Hawaii Kai is damn near as good as Kona, and the ambience is nicer.........same pizza, I love Pele's Own washed down with a few IPA's.

Sexsea:
Whats your forte? I would guide you to more local style eats (hawaiian, japanese, etc)

Ono Hawaiian Food (kapahulu)- Traditional hawaiian grinds. This is my personal favorite after a morning dive.
Izakaya Nonbei (kapahulu)- Japanese. Lots of small dishes served appetizer style.
Takuri Tei (kapahulu) - Sushi Bar/Izakaya Super casual, large large menu be prepared to try some new things.

Keawe Grill (King Street) Super good burgers cooked on traditional keawe wood grill. Also have korean style bbq (pork chops, bbq chicken, kal-bi (korean short rib), Buffalo burgers..angus burgers...kobe burgers.

-Hy's Steakhouse in Waikiki is pretty damn good. Not your usual steak house.

Egg's N' Things in Waikiki is real good for breakfast. Always packed full though, but no 5$ bacon. haha.

Mai Tai bar in Ala Moana is a fun daytime spot for drinks and eats. Top floor open air large patio style bar, decent view. Plasma screens and live music day/night. Nighttime is very crowded on weekends, usually weeknights too. Beer selection is a bit weak, but doable.

If you wanna go big, go to Roys in Hawaii Kai.

Sam Choys by the harbor is also a fun place to eat. Casual, seafood, steak, local concoctions...all around good. The Sam Choy Restaurant on kapahulu is more fancy dining, but also good. Fine dining on Kapahulu has closed.

Keo's Thai in waikiki. WooHoo. Some smaller thai places do it better, but this place is kinda legendary.

Kiawe grill on king street, pork chop plate with Korean sides and of course 2 scoops rice. MmmMmmm.

Also love Ono Hawaiian Foods on Kapahulu, and Ono Sea Foods (some of the best poke for sure

Wahoo's Fish Tacos in Ward.

Sea nmf:
In Waikiki, Tiki's is nice. Reasonable prices and if you eat on the deck about 1/2 before sunset, you can watch the buff island boys run up and down Kalakaua, lighting the tiki torches. Then, of course, there is the actual sunset. Make reservations and ask for a view table on the lanai.
For those of you that like kalua pig, Tiki's in Waikiki has good kalua pig nachos. Sounds bad but it is yummy.

My favorite is Leonard's malasada and Kua 'aina is great, too!

Thumbs down on Killer Taco's in Haleiwa. I've always wanted to try it but noticed there were never very many cars there. Finally, Crab Lover and I tried it. Icky.

Crablover:
Specifically... lack of salt for everything. Salsa was bland (needed salt and maybe some lime or cilantro or something) it was pretty much pureed tomatoes. Ground beef was tasteless and the chicken had a weird seasoning I just couldn't place and really didn't care for, but still no salt. I'll stick with Moe's and Maui Taco.

ItsBruce:
I'll second Egg's N' Things for breakfast. One of my Top 10 picks for breakfast in the world.

There is also a great Korean BBQ fast food restaurant at Kapolei Shopping Center. It does not look like much. However, if you like Korean BBQ with a broad range of side dishes, this can't be beat. There are a line of small restaurants in the shopping center and this is among them.

rickg:
Also Ezogiku (sp?) Ramen that has several locations on Oahu with ramen, fried rice, gyoza and curry rice on the menu.

Ala Moana Food Court also has a very large selection of fast food restaurants some which serve surprisingly good food for the money and it is quick.

Rainbow Drive-in on Kapahulu Ave. IMHO, the best plate lunches on Oahu. Its usually the first place I go to eat when I visit.

"New Kapahulu Chop Suey" - Inexpensive but good Chinese food. Dingy atmosphere and surly waitresses. Located at 730 Kapahulu, a 10-minute walk from the New Otani Hotel and Radisson. Call 734-4953. Best value anywhere."

Best sushi I've ever had on Oahu was at "Sushi Bistro Shun" at 1914 S King St. Parking can be tough but the sushi is well worth it as is watching the owner/sushi chef in action. And they have a good "izakaya" memu plus some other Japanese mainstays like shabu shabu.

catherine96821:
The Greek Table in kahala if you want to ogle pro surfers.

Blue Water Grill in Hawaii Kai

Waikiki: Chuck's Steak House, Phuket Thai, Cheesecake Factory, Dukes on Sunday, LUNCH: Gordon Bierch at Aloha Tower,

Town is kinda nice in Kaimuki---I don't like those damn chairs (he opened a new place in town now) "Downtown Too" affordable lunches, locally grown ingredients just like Town. More torture furniture I noticed.

I like Assagio's in Hawaii Kai (hmm, comfy chairs, water view)

[FONT=&amp]Places I think suck: (for the money...it's all better than my cooking) - Roy's, Kincaid's, Ryan's (used to be good)[/FONT]

MeiLing:
Ryan's and Kincaids are run by the same company. They also used to own Palamino's which was downtown. Kincaid's used to be better also. They're still pretty good for Happy Hour when their appetizers are half price and I think their drinks are also.
04.gif

I'd recommend Ricado's in the Pearl Kai Shopping Center. Their food is really good and their corkage fee is really cheap so you can BYOB and have an even more affordable meal.

If you want Mexican on the North Shore, I'd stick with Cholo's in the North Shore Marketplace. Their Fresh Fish Tacos are highly recommended!
03.gif

rdbean:
I second Cholos...and good Margaritas!

onfloat:
The hotdog stand in front of the Home Depot. I recommend the polish dog with the Chicago toppings. Of course there's always John Dominis at Point Panic, then you could follow it up with a dive on Kewalo Pipe.

Ben ca:
The "Grill your own" at the Shore Bird (The Outrigger Reef) is always fun for visitors

L&L Hawaiian Barbeque

fishb0y:
Go with the Loco Moco!

Actually, try La Marina off Sand Island Access Road

sharky60:
dittio on the loco moco!! also for dissert a slice of coconut pie w/macadamian nut crust from Jamison's by the Sea!!!!
oh! shaved ice w/red beans, the breakfast buffet at Turtle Bay Hilton, a burger from Coconut Joe's....oh my...I need to book a flight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BDub:
I'd have a Pita from Pita Paradise in Kihei...yum!

Scottietheduck:
Been looking for good So. Cal style Mex here on Oahu for 2 years now. Try Diegos on King Street (by Old Stadium Park, Makai Side). 2 tank dive in the AM, Carne Asada Burrito w/ rice and beans and a nap. Sounds like a great day.

For Italian try Sistina (also on King) Great atmosphere, good wine list and friendly service.

The hands down BEST Italian food on the island is at Sabrina's. Small place with only 10 tables. Stefano and Sabrina are from Italy and have had the place for 7 years now. They shop locally and EVERY SINGLE dish is prepared from scratch! Michelle and I have been there twice now and it is crazy good! Call for reservation though, because those of us who are in the know realize it's impossible to get a table without one. Sabrina's Restaurant 3036 Waialae Ave Honolulu, Hawaii 96816

Thai = Phuket (Mcully Shopping Center) Great curries, awesome aps and good prices for the portion sizes

Local Ono on Kapahulu.... hands down.

thatssomebadhatharry:
The Cheescake Factory in Waikiki.

Buffalo Wings....pretty good. Come with extra buffalo sauce, so that's a plus. Also has bleu cheese dressing that is too chunky, so that's a minus. Celery.

Pizza Bob's in Haleiwa...best buffalo wings to date. You can barely hold them they fall right apart.

Tim:
For pretty good Chinese on Oahu at decent prices, try Aiea Chop Suey on the bottom floor of the Aiea shopping center - next to Times super market. My family has been going their for years and been happy with both food and service. It's served family style.

Sugoi's in Kalihi (Behind Dept. of Motor Vehicle on Dillingham) has my favorite plate lunches (taste wise) - Garlic chicken is broke da' mouth. Dripping with garlic sauce ... just make sure you don't have any public speaking engagements afterwards or need to work in close quarters ... it's that good
03.gif

The Mochiko chicken is good too, but their garlic chicken really is the best I've ever had.

Konasdad:
For great plate lunch try HK Cafe on King St., 1 block beyond Eisenberg (makai side) in Mc Cully. They have great daily specials.
-Mark-

Jensen01:
Maui Mike's In Wahiawa, The best rotisserie chicken on Oahu. Garuns!!!!!

DiveConcierge:
for well priced, TRUE local grinds, you have to try L&L Drive Inn- I recommend the BBQ mix plate: DA KINE!! Also, the Shack is wonderful. Original is in Hawaii Kai, but there are a few locations on Oahu, and one in Kapa'a on Kauai. And of course, the original Roy's, the first in the world, is in my hometown of Hawaii Kai!!

Last edited:
KrisB:
You *MUST* check out the Molokai Hot Bread.

Here's a link to a photo of the menu http://flickr.com/photos/doctorkb/411194275/in/set-72157594570856227/

Click "map" in the right hand column to see where to find it.

It's in a back alley behind the bakery -- they don't start serving it until ~10pm... but it is SOOOO worth it!

It's a bit of an experience that feels somewhat like the Seinfeld "Soup Nazi" -- she takes a few orders, goes back in (closes door), prepares them, comes back out, you give her money she gives you bread.

More suggestions?....anyone?

just a couple for Kauai

milletseedbfly:
Da Imu Hut, Hanapepe on Kauai. Broke da mout

MI2diver:
On Kauai, Brick Oven Pizza with wheat crust!!!!

justleesa:
Kountry Kitchen - the ad looked so promising, the real thing was a let down. The host seemed bothered that he had to step away from his buddies to seat us, the coffee tasted burned, the service was rude and they brought us the wrong food. The food was ok...but just ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom