GoPro Hero 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mochu

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey fellow divers! I lost my Black edition GoPro Hero 3 and headstrap today while freediving at Lover's Point Cove, Pacific Grove, CA.
My buddy and I were in the cove close to shore when we lost it. If it's not buried in the algae, it was probably carried offshore by the waves. If someone can find it and return it to me, I would appreciate it very much. My name and number are printed on the bottom of the GroPro body in silver permanent marker.

Thanks everyone!
Mochu

Bummer.. the head strap is NOT secure. You MUST wear it under a hood or add a DIY chin strap (in my opinion).. a little late .. sorry...

Bummer.. the head strap is NOT secure. You MUST wear it under a hood or add a DIY chin strap (in my opinion).. a little late .. sorry...

Is there any place where people are trading ideas on how to secure these?

I have found and returned 3 GoPros, all on head straps, but since I do not own one, I don't have an idea of how to fix the falling off problem.

My boyfriend used a bungee cord to clip on to it once. He has since bought a mask that has a GoPro mount.

I hope you get your camera back! ETA: Maybe post this in the NorCal fourm as well so locals will see it and can keep an eye out when diving there.

I have found and returned 3 GoPros, all on head straps, but since I do not own one, I don't have an idea of how to fix the falling off problem.

I would be curious too, I found a gopro with headstrap that someone lost & I want to make sure I don't make the same mistake. It would suck even though my gopro was free, I am sure the original owner was very upset.

Last edited:
Tether it, I use mine on a pole and it is still tethered to my BCD

Well I think I told you what to do....You must wear it under a hood. I find that somewhat uncomfortable under a neoprene hood, but it is secure. An alternative idea is to buy a super thin lycra hood for like $15... wear this hood over the mount and it will not fall off, you can wear the lycra hood over the outside of th neoprene hood if you like.

After doing many head strap dives I finally went out into the garage, cut a few strips of inner tube rubber, tied them to the head strap and made a chin strap that attaches with a plastic fastex clip. Just look at any kids bike helmet to envision a chin strap... I liked having the chin strap somewhat elastic and easily removable with the fastex clips....

Here is what I came up with this weekend, I took one of my wifes scrunchie/hair tie things & as you can see put it over the top of the headstrap & ran it under my chin. Camera didn't move at all.

IMAG0268.jpg

Simple solution piece of cord tied to the strap at the back on the plastic adjustment clip and tie it to the back of your BCD, falls off and you get out the water and it dangles like the rest of your gear.

I don't wear mine headmounted anymore. But when I did, I successfully used a velcro slap strap for a dive mask. One like this: Amazon.com: Padded Mask Strap - Slap Strap with Velcro Attachment Closure, scuba mask, dive mask, diving mask, snorkel mask, snorkeling mask, Authorized Dealer Full Warranty , Black/Red: Sports & Outdoors.

Just wrapped the velcro around either side of my head onto the head-strap for the gopro and tightened it up under my chin. Relatively comfortable. I decided that the headcount was too loose to produce any decent video and switched to a goodman type handle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom