lost camera+lens at christ the abyss in Key Largo, Florida 09/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thez_yo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I had it on me in the water to take one last shot before climbing up the ladder onto the boat, but then it was gone. It has pictures on it that were important, on a 4gig card. Camera sinks, not floats.

Olympus TG-2 with fisheye lens adapter FCON T01 and CLA-T01 adapter. It was on a Princeton Tec Black clip retractor, held on with a hose clip tie.

Bummer thez. I hope it turns up.

Here are some tips for future KL trips.

1. Don't let Froid know you have a camera.
2. Don't let Froid look at the camera.
3. Don't let Froid touch the camera.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

WOW... just wow Scott...lol...

I was watching Thez board from below...never saw it drop...sucks...hope it turns up!!

What's a Froid? I googled it and still don't know.

I keep mine with the lanyard tight on my wrist, then it's the first thing I hand up to the crew before boarding. So what part failed you?

Some suggest that negative cameras are easier to find on the bottom, and that may be true in some locations. Mine is positive but I still use an orange float strap, thinking that will be easier to find on the top.

Hehe thanks for the tips Scott - btw happy bday :)

DandyDon: not sure I'd get in the habit of handing my camera up and it's only the third time I dove with it. I already have them running around getting my tank, is why I don't have a gigantic camera rig. It just took up residence on a clip on my right chest D-ring, on a retractor, so it's out of the way when I need to use my hands for something else, e.g. pulling tank off at the end of the dive (in sidemount). I'm not sure how it disappeared but somehow right between when I touched the ladder til I got onboard and sat down, something happened.

Hehe thanks for the tips Scott - btw happy bday :)

DandyDon: not sure I'd get in the habit of handing my camera up and it's only the third time I dove with it. I already have them running around getting my tank, is why I don't have a gigantic camera rig. It just took up residence on a clip on my right chest D-ring, on a retractor, so it's out of the way when I need to use my hands for something else, e.g. pulling tank off at the end of the dive (in sidemount). I'm not sure how it disappeared but somehow right between when I touched the ladder til I got onboard and sat down, something happened.
Ah, ok, gotcha. I refused to carry a camera for the first hundred dives, but kept hearing crews on some trips suggest handing the camera up first - so when I did start, I adopted that: Get my camera out of the way! Some have mentioned that they'll hand the camera down after entering, but I just carry it in from smaller boats; bigger drops I do that.

New divers seldom ask if they should get a camera early or wait. Sometimes when a newbie asks about cameras on the other forums, some will suggest waiting - but new divers want to share what they saw, and dive shops want to sell cameras before they buy elsewhere, so many are lost to learning experiences. I usually don't post in Lost Camera threads here as I am always tempted to scream: Why the hell were you carrying one so early...?! Many do of course, some lose them, and a few are found & returned. Good luck with yours. I also download pics every day, then back up to a flash drive each day of the trip. Most don't want to take a laptop on trips, but I guess that could be done on some of the smaller devices these days, maybe?

I really like my orange float strap as I think the crew will be more likely to see it and get it for me than someone else who may find one on the floor. Many will argue that sinkers are more likely to be found tho, and encourage putting name & contact info in the first pic on a card - then protecting it.

Hope none of my opinions seem rude.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom