"Lost, Go Pro"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
How do people lose so many Go Pros? I have found two in Boynton Beach, Florida. One was on a monopod, no one ever claimed it, it's mine. One was on a headband, it was immediately claimed and was returned to the owner. The sea floor appears to be littered with lost Go Pros, what's the explanation?

Good diving, Craig

Darn and to think I just went out and bought one!

poor dive skills and lack of awareness

yep!

Task loading.... I am quite terrified by the folks that show up with cameras (like at their OW). With the tiny little GoPro, the rate of first time users has grown exponential. Consequences: new treasures for us to find.....

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 04:55 PM ----------

The sea floor appears to be littered with lost Go Pros....

Wow, can I dive with you where you dive?

On our last trip, there were a couple of people that had a go pro and a still camera as well. One guy dropped his go pro to the bottom of the ocean while trying to put it away on the safety stop while still holding on to his larger rig.

On our last trip, there were a couple of people that had a go pro and a still camera as well. One guy dropped his go pro to the bottom of the ocean while trying to put it away on the safety stop while still holding on to his larger rig.

The Go Pro I found on a monopod was on when it was lost. It was obviously lost while ascending and showed a nice spiral to the bottom. It then acted as an ocean cam until the battery or memory ran out. Interaction with the camera by fish was actually very interesting as there was no diver connected with it. The fish were very curious and came around "sniffing" kind of like you would expect of pet dogs.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2015 at 01:03 PM ----------

yep!

Task loading.... I am quite terrified by the folks that show up with cameras (like at their OW). With the tiny little GoPro, the rate of first time users has grown exponential. Consequences: new treasures for us to find.....

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 04:55 PM ----------

Wow, can I dive with you where you dive?

I couldn't agree more, everyone, whether they have any dive skills or not has a camera, a Go Pro, or both. There oughta be a law.

Sure, you can easily dive where I do, come on down to Boynton Beach Florida. The reefs are fantastic and the Castor is a Goliath Grouper aggregation site August-Sept. I would suggest diving with Kevin Metz and Underwater Explorers. And.....the reef is littered with Go Pros

That sounds like it would be a fun video to watch!!!!
The Go Pro I found on a monopod was on when it was lost. It was obviously lost while ascending and showed a nice spiral to the bottom. It then acted as an ocean cam until the battery or memory ran out. Interaction with the camera by fish was actually very interesting as there was no diver connected with it. The fish were very curious and came around "sniffing" kind of like you would expect of pet dogs.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2015 at 01:03 PM ----------

I couldn't agree more, everyone, whether they have any dive skills or not has a camera, a Go Pro, or both. There oughta be a law.

Sure, you can easily dive where I do, come on down to Boynton Beach Florida. The reefs are fantastic and the Castor is a Goliath Grouper aggregation site August-Sept. I would suggest diving with Kevin Metz and Underwater Explorers. And.....the reef is littered with Go Pros

I stick my email address on a written bit of paper/cut out from the business card into the hard case of the gopro.
Also, taking a photo of yourself, or at least, the same business card/dive card would also help....

Back
Top Bottom