replacing the backplate and adding tank bands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SamDiver14

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay, asking for suggestions and advice here.

I have a Dacor Rig II that is pretty much a piece of junk. It does work perfectly but I just don't like it. So I think I am going to experiment with replacing the backplate with a metal one custom machined and building a set of bands to hold twin 100's. Perhaps if that goes well I may make myself an alternate backplate for my Oceanic Probe that I do like to dive. I have access to one of the best machine shops in the country and even can use a 7 axis CNC machine if needed so there is nothing out of the range of possibility.

So what do you you all think?

Why not get rid of all the noise of the BC and use *just* the backplate? :wink:

On the Dacor Rig II getting rid of the BC would be to get rid of all of it. This particular BC was one of the early (failed) attempts to create a hybrid rec/tech BC and the result is that it does neither well. Anyway, getting rid of the BC I might as well go buy something new all together. I am just bored and want to fiddle around with something. Note: when I say backplate, on these rec BCs it means the plastic backplate that is injection molded to fit the tank. So it really doesn't have a backplate to start with. but it is back floatation. It is just the jacket of the BC that sucks. There are no pockets and nowhere to attach anything, etc. Mostly when I am diving I need my cue cards in my pocket, a knife, a pair of shears, signalling device etc, so that I can demonstrate the proper equipment for the students. So the Rig II just sucks, not to mention that the company is now out of business, so eventually it will break and there will be no OEM parts for it. But it does work and it is a great BC to loan out to some of my buddies, he he he he.

SamDiver14:
On the Dacor Rig II getting rid of the BC would be to get rid of all of it. This particular BC was one of the early (failed) attempts to create a hybrid rec/tech BC and the result is that it does neither well. Anyway, getting rid of the BC I might as well go buy something new all together. I am just bored and want to fiddle around with something. Note: when I say backplate, on these rec BCs it means the plastic backplate that is injection molded to fit the tank. So it really doesn't have a backplate to start with. but it is back floatation. It is just the jacket of the BC that sucks. There are no pockets and nowhere to attach anything, etc. Mostly when I am diving I need my cue cards in my pocket, a knife, a pair of shears, signalling device etc, so that I can demonstrate the proper equipment for the students. So the Rig II just sucks, not to mention that the company is now out of business, so eventually it will break and there will be no OEM parts for it. But it does work and it is a great BC to loan out to some of my buddies, he he he he.

You just expressed all the reasons for buying a new one and not waste time and money in some experiment.

Better fork out the money for a new one or machine one with your own specs and buy a new wing and pockets for your rig.

Keep the DACOR as is for a loaner BC, no use in ruining it.

I got 3 BCs now, 1 CRESSI aquapro (loaner), 1 DR Transpack (inherited from my brother) and 1 OMS BP/W (current baby) and I'm not selling any of them, they may come handy any day.

SamDiver14:
Okay, asking for suggestions and advice here.

I have a Dacor Rig II that is pretty much a piece of junk. It does work perfectly but I just don't like it. So I think I am going to experiment with replacing the backplate with a metal one custom machined and building a set of bands to hold twin 100's. Perhaps if that goes well I may make myself an alternate backplate for my Oceanic Probe that I do like to dive. I have access to one of the best machine shops in the country and even can use a 7 axis CNC machine if needed so there is nothing out of the range of possibility.

So what do you you all think?

Hi SamDiver,
Interesting topic, I did experiment. Fabricated my own SS backplate (Milled (just a manual Bridgeport) and Formed- this was the tough part because of the thickness) Also fabricated my own SS tank-bands for 80's and 100's, and made a SS single tank adapter (8lbs non-dumpable weight) The plate is rigged with an OMS Comfort Harnass and a 55lbs Halcyon wing. I love it and wouldn't dive anything else. (anybody want to buy a Seatec Manta BC?..seriously) In your profile I read you're an ME, this should be a piece of cake for you. I'm an EE and had trouble keeping angles on the milling machine (LOL) The most rewarding part was to do the whole thing myself and then dive it to 130'(after some shallower sea trials). I have received many compliments on it and have been made some offers. I do most of this stuff at work during lunch and in the weekends. I recently started to refinish my tanks (sandblast and powdercoat) Let me know if you need any info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom