DIY Housings for Flash..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajames54

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I'm looking for an underwater flash to use with my digital Camera, and for a ballpark price of 650 USD I can get a fully automatic strobe with a guide number in air of something around 20. Which for a surface flash should retail at around 45$

What I am used to is flashes with guide numbers between 120 and 600 working the theory that it is always possible to cut down light output but if it aint there then it aint there.

So what I figure is this..

I have a spare Vivitar 285 (GN 120) these are available on ebay for about $50.
I think I'll go with the Vivitar because while I have other spare flash units I've found the thyristor unit (the light sensor that makes the flash "automatic") is the most consitantly accurate I've found without using TTL.

A company called WEIN makes a digital slave which will ignore the preflash from the camera. Price for that is around $75..

My initial thought was to build the Case from ABS pipe because it is quite stiff and can be heated and re-shaped to a limited extent.. cheap and easy .. however it is black and opaque (OK the flash would be behind a Polycarbonate lens). There would be some issues to resolve around triggering the flash and getting light to the thyristor.. I'm sure I can get around them using Fiber-Optic cable but that adds a PITA factor I don't want to deal with if I don't have to.

So what was my point in all this you ask?
I'm looking for info on either forming Polycarbonate or Lexan sheets or making formed fiberglass stiff and strong enough to handle the preasures.. anyone with info on how to water proof switches would be well thanked .. access is not necessary but would really be nice to have..

If I get it to work I'll end up with a flash that will throw around 35 times as much light as the $650 dollar option .. and 5 to 20 times as much as options costing in the multiple thousands..

HOLY COW!
10 minute turn around time AND hugely useful info!

thanks.. this place is great.

I made a housing for a regular SLR flash out of ABS pipe. I had access to a lathe so I could machine the end cap out of plexiglass (with o-ring grooves). My "topside" flash cost $5 though. If I had a flash like yours (over $100), I'd probably go for an Ikelite flash housing off E-Bay. You can probably get one for $20 or so and you can stick whatever will fit in it.

I know this is an ancient thread but the topic is still an issue.

I am designing acrylglas housings for my land-use strobes. I just started to set up my underwater gear, based on an Olympus E-PL5 and being stunned by the price of underwater TTL strobes or housings for land-strobes. (I have two land-use strobes, capable of remote TTL anyway) Therefore, I am considering building my own housing based on the idea of a videographer fellow: Paul's Homemade Underwater Video Housing .

I modified the design a bit:
strobe2.jpg

Long story short:
Material: Acrylglas, wall strength: 10mm (Lid: 20mm)
Semidome front profile (->the illumination angle of the flash doesn't shrink)
Communication: Toslink cable, I already tested, my Metz 50 fires perfectly using them.
Material weight ~1.2kg -> approx. 1kg lead is needed for neutral bouyancy.

I'll check the local workshops If they can make the shapes for me. Regarding leakage,
I am optimistic: The video housing I've just linked started to leak at 160m...

FWIW: there is transparent PVC pipe out there too.

Transparent PVC is not fully transparent, its light blue:( (very counterproductive for underwater photography). However, the lid, which is the most fragile part of the design, can still be made of PVC (of any color). Thanks for the idea!

Alternative material is lexan (polycarbonate), its better mechanically but a bit worse optically.

I put away my eBay'ed Ikelite flash housings that didn't fit my Vivatar 285/292 strobes and did the following:

For my point & shoot I re-used my old analog Ikelite Substrobe 50, you can find them used for around $50+. I attached a digital slave trigger to the end of the ikelite ICS to Nikonos cable connector and the trigger also handles TTL control. This adapter costs $135-170 from Heinrich Weikamp in Europe. Bought my adapter from ReefPhoto.com.

This keeps me shopping for analog strobes that can be re-used for the digital cameras if you use the digital adapter. There are other digital triggers out there but they don't provide TTL control.

Please provide photos of your projects if you can.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom