Yet another DIY soft weights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amcordon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I know everybody and their brother has posted about making their own soft weights but I wanted to share mine.

I looked and looked for a fine mesh at all the local fabric stores and couldn't find anything. I really wanted the coated mesh someone found a few threads below but found that too expensive.

Walking through the hardware store on an unrelated project I found black PVC window screen. EUREKA!! It is tough and flexible and best of all cheap. This store sells it custom sized so a 36"x36" piece was around three dollars if that. I went to Gander Mountain and purchased 25# of #7.5 lead shot.

Once I arrived home I got out my trusty sewing machine and scissors. Cut two pieces and sewed down three sides. I used the shortest length and thinnest width my machine can do and an all purpose thread. I went up and down each side 3-4 times to really lock it in so it can withstand abuse.

Turn your bag inside out to make it look pretty and fill with desired amount of shot. I made 2#ers and 4#ers. To make it easier to sew the top I used a few quilting pins to hold all the shot in the bottom so it wouldn't get under the presser foot of the machine and sewed the top 3-4 times making sure to get all the way to the ends. Trim the top of any excess if any and remove the pins.

Especially once you have the shot in the bags the material does not like to backstitch easily so you'll need both hands to guide it. (my machine doesn't lock in reverse so i had to tape down the lever. You may not have that problem.) Also I want to point out what ever you put the lead in should probably NOT be used for food ever again because, at least the brand I bought, the bag says they contain natural arsenic. :shakehead:

I made 16# of weight and still have plenty of material left-over to make more if I need it. Diving on Sunday with them the first time. Hopefully everything goes alright.

Interesting, I was thinking about using window screen myself. Thanx for the write up!

Hello. I have a side mount system and two detachable weight pockets. I put it in the back of the shoulders (at the reach of the opposite arm to open it in case of emergency) to next to the plate, but they are not made for that position and don't fit in the stream line of harness, the are big and ugly in that position.

So I'm starting two projects, 1) a low profile curved lead weight and 2) your soft weight.

CAN YOU PUT IN THE THREAD SOME PHOTOS OF YOUR V WEIGHT?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1385425350.817035.jpg

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok I know this is a old post and there have been tons of diy softweight post but I had a idea tonight

When i get off the wall ideas i like to try to explain to myself why it would not work but for the life of me i can not find fault with it

So you wanna make softweights from junk shot lead or reloading lead

Why not fill a vacumm seal bag with the required amount and run it through the vacuum cycle this will remove all the air in it and shrink it to near solid dimension while still being able to "mold " them into a shape you would want like curved .

Benifits

1 zero lead exposure to the surrounding water

2 easier then casting solids

3 bags could be double baged or taped up to povide extra ruggedness

4 you could still make cloth bags so they look like regulars

5 no air inside means there not fighting the lead inside vs the trapped air

6 vacuum bags are very very tough and i think they would hold up well

I don't know if it has ever been tryed before but it seems kiss simple

Ok I know this is a old post and there have been tons of diy softweight post but I had a idea tonight

When i get off the wall ideas i like to try to explain to myself why it would not work but for the life of me i can not find fault with it

So you wanna make softweights from junk shot lead or reloading lead

Why not fill a vacumm seal bag with the required amount and run it through the vacuum cycle this will remove all the air in it and shrink it to near solid dimension while still being able to "mold " them into a shape you would want like curved .

Benifits

1 zero lead exposure to the surrounding water

2 easier then casting solids

3 bags could be double baged or taped up to povide extra ruggedness

4 you could still make cloth bags so they look like regulars

5 no air inside means there not fighting the lead inside vs the trapped air

6 vacuum bags are very very tough and i think they would hold up well

I don't know if it has ever been tryed before but it seems kiss simple

I had a soft weight belt in the mid eighty's that used small vacuum seal bags. 2lber's. Each in it's own little space around the belt then zipped closed. Fitzwright I think was the brand. Worked great. Very comfortable and lasted years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom