Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: DIY Slates

Registered

looking for Nemo

Dives
    200 - 499

DIY Slates

Hey guys, the folk i work for need a bunch of slates, but aren't too happy about paying for them. Are there common plastic materials that will do just as well as the ones from the scuba shops? Thanks in advance!
    Too many divers focus on taking care of the equipment they buy rather than the equipment they are. We must remember that the most important piece of gear a diver owns is his mind.

DIR Practitioner

DARKSUCKER

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    slate

plastic is ordinary plastics from waste water tubes - white (kitchen)

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Thin wall PVC pipe works nicely. Cut a length of 4 or 6 inch pipe in half length ways. Place it between heavy, flat objects ( I use 2- 12inch tiles off the padio table and a brick). Put it in the oven at around 250 deg F for about an hour then turn the oven off, allowing it to cool undisturbed. The plastic can be sawed on a table saw.
    herman

www.ncdivers.com
    Oly C-5050, PT-015, Inon D180

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Greenville, South Carolina, United States
    Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    take em, drill a couple holes in them for thin bungee to hold a pencil and bolt snap. Use super glue and glue a $10 wally world compass on there and you're good to go.

Opposite of what Herman said, you can take the thin wall PVC and stack it on top of itself for a wrist mounted slate

Registered

Finally reached 25 dives and
    it only took 2 years...

Dives
    25 - 49
    Quote Originally Posted by lucca brassi View Post
    slate

plastic is ordinary plastics from waste water tubes - white (kitchen)
    I made one very similar to this the other day. I had all the parts as scraps from other projects so all it took was about an hour of my time.

I used 2 inch PVC and put it in the oven at 200 degrees for about 10 minutes in order to soften it (after cutting it lengthwise to split it) and then formed it around a 4" pvc pipe. I used the 2" PVC because it's a little thinner than the 4".
    Never judge a day by the weather. The best things in life aren't things. He who dies with the most toys still dies. There are 2 ways to be rich - make more or desire less. No rain, no rainbows. Take it easy.
    -Hawaiian rules to live by

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    The thin wall waste water pipe is around 1/2 the thickness of pressure pipe- around 1/16 inch.
    herman

www.ncdivers.com
    Oly C-5050, PT-015, Inon D180

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Try a piece of PVC Fencing. it is already flat. worked for me. the compass is a nice touch. I think I will add one.

Thanks
    SoCalRich

Registered

Outside temperature 34
    degrees, and I'm going diving.

Dives
    100 - 199
    Azek or Versatex (Composite trim boards) scraps work great for slates. I have made a few out of 1/4" material, and I have also cut 3/4" boards in half as well. I can make them in any size or shape I want and If I want to curve them I can do that with a heat gun rather quickly.

Registered

Dives
    100 - 199
    I've tried with the plastic from 20 liters paint cans. This type of plastic has a lot of unmolding compound to avoid the painting from sticking to the plastic wall, so a pencil also slip and makes writing underwater a nigthmare, even if you sand the writing surface.
    I've finaly made my slate with a piece of plastic from a broken plastic chair, the part where it's flat. This type of plastic works a lot better.
    The rest of the parts needed are scrapped things.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tired of such a long Surface Interval.
    Eduardo

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by psiborg1812 View Post
    Hey guys, the folk i work for need a bunch of slates, but aren't too happy about paying for them. Are there common plastic materials that will do just as well as the ones from the scuba shops? Thanks in advance!
    See on

http://www.e-safetyshop.eu/product.a...ria=&PT_ID=678

is it good plastic for slates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast