DIY UW housing for Canon t2i - advice appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

_marin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking of building a simple housing for my t2i and would appreciate any advice you may have on my initial drawings and plans. The image I attach is just a drawing for main part, but I will design handles with remote controls for the camera using momentary toggle switches and sealing boots. But before I begin, I'd like to hear what you think about this drawing and maybe discuss potential problems before I start the production.
Thank you.
kuciste.jpg

Thank you, mr. Brassi :) Vivid housings look nice but are above my budget, but this thing on eBay looks interesting.
However, I ordered some parts for the housing I'm planning to build so I think I'm gonna try and do it. I just visited a small company that deals with custom projects and they said they'll be happy to do it so now I gotta figure out the potential problems with this design and try to solve it. Basic concept is the same as this ClearCam Housings. but I plan on adding remote controls in the handles for controlling focus, aperture, exposure, ISO and start/stop recording. I'm thinking of putting Ikelite 6" dome port in front which means most of the front part will be drilled through. If not 6" maybe smaller one. If I understand correctly the dome port must be centered with the lens center axis?

Yes, I am aware of that. I checked on Ikelite's site the proper dome and port for my lens. It's 6" dome with 5503 port so I will be ordering that and making the housing in a way that it can be properly installed.
I left you a message on candlepowerforum in dive lightning library post but I guess I can ask that here too:
Could you please tell me if this momentary toggle switch would work underwater properly without need for additional protection? http://www.apem.com/pdf/MT.pdf
it's from one of the links you posted but I still haven't got an answer from manufacturer...
Thanks.

Hmm should be fine to see cross section on that switch -how is switch assembled. (Deprecated Browser Error have same ) At general if you use remote controll ( I have same idea ; I made (2) similar housing like Halcyon- apollo - but I never finished them :blinking: ) you need momentary button type switch .

I have idea to made a PCB in dimensions of my grip with inserted hall switches , and then whole thing mould in liquid acryl ( including remote - of course with battery cables out and IR diode out ).
In pleces where would be placed hall switches , I would made holes with threads where I put assembly kit including (spring , small piston (button) with south pole magnet on end and limiting nut which hold all thing together) .

There is also very elegant and simple solution as always for that and there are inustrial modular buttons and parts from them

like : small piston for accutating hall
106MG10 - HONEYWELL S&C - Magnet | Farnell Republika Slovenija

switch assembly Pushbutton | Farnell Republika Slovenija | Results=
(In our company uses these components at machine building and I think it is possible to made out very robust and sure command console.

In that case you can be pretty sure that will nothing go wrong with these switches )

Just got a reply from a guy who made electronics for remote control - said this type of switch won't work because the switch needs to have 3 positions where first pos is shorting A-COM, second pos should be open (no connection between A-COM-B and third pos should short COM-B. The switch I posted above has only A, COM or B options, no A-COM and B-COM :(
I was also thinking of using simple push button switches but I cannot find small ones that I could somehow make water resistant... Do you think Hexseal boots for pushbutton switches would be enough protection to take it underwater 30m? this boot Full Pushbutton Boots Switch & Potentiometer Boots from APM and this bushing seal Bushing Seals for use with Sealed Switches Switch & Potentiometer Boots from APM

I have thought that you want that switch for some zoom-in / zoom out or some dial function

At momentary switches is problem that pressure close contact because of air behind some membrane /sealing. Switch mechanism should be floded to equlize pressure ( but not contacts of course :wink:) - thats why proximity switches (reed ,hall or clasic toggle , could be also piezo but they are expensive )

Back
Top Bottom