Dry Gloves, easily removable

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been playing with the idea of adding dry gloves to my old DUI dry-suit for a while. It finally came together after installing SiTech wrist seal rings. Browsing through the local Home Depot scuba department I discovered that the neoprene rubber insert into a 3" no hub coupling fit snugly into the SiTech ring. Pass the cuff of a heavy duty dish glove through the rubber insert and then stretch the cuff over the insert. Dress normally and then put each glove on with/without a liner and push the glove covered insert into the SiTech ring. Works perfectly.

SitechPUcuffring.jpgpart that is glued to the suit cuff. From SiTech
SiTechSiffRing.jpgpart that holds the wrist seal in place. This pushs into the cuff ring and holds the wrist seal in place. While the wrist seal isn't absolutely needed (as the glove provides the waterproof seal) the ring IS needed to make the parts fit.
3 inch no hub coupling.jpg3 in. No-Hub Cast Iron x 3 in. Sch 40 PVC, Steel and Extra Heavy Cast Iron Neoprene Rubber Shielded Coupling-P3000-33 at The Home Depot Save the metal parts for another project. Use the neoprene rubber insert as a glove ring. Insert the glove cuff through the ring and then stretch it over the outside back toward the fingers.

The gloves are so inexpensive that you can have several pairs. No liner, light liner, heavy liner, plus spares. You can use any type gloves you want as long as they are smooth on the inside. Pushing the glove/ring into place is easy to do one handed. So is removing them.

I'll add pictures of the complete set up when I remember.

Thanks for posting the pics!! I'm off to Home Depot tonight and I'll post my results after my next dive trip.

Love it. Tinker on dude.........tinker on.
heh heh... raftingtigger is a "Dudette".
:D

Yo, Tigger; are ya taking this to DEMA to tease the lads from SI Tech? :eyebrow:

Now if only I could find dish gloves that would fit my hands. I generally tear them trying to put them on...

Now if only I could find dish gloves that would fit my hands. I generally tear them trying to put them on...

Use the heavy duty ones and get them large enough to go over an insulating pair of gloves. Alternatively get some solvent gloves that are smooth on both sides of the cuff. Lastly I inserted a pair of blue "smurf" gloves with home turned retaining rings in place of the wrist seal and ring. This last has NOT been leak tested yet - they are on my old (read back-up) suit. I had to fold the cuff inward instead of outward to seal. Each insertion will then to push the gloves off the sealing ring. I intend these to stay semi-permanently attached.

Use the heavy duty ones and get them large enough to go over an insulating pair of gloves. Alternatively get some solvent gloves that are smooth on both sides of the cuff. Lastly I inserted a pair of blue "smurf" gloves with home turned retaining rings in place of the wrist seal and ring. This last has NOT been leak tested yet - they are on my old (read back-up) suit. I had to fold the cuff inward instead of outward to seal. Each insertion will then to push the gloves off the sealing ring. I intend these to stay semi-permanently attached.

Solvent gloves might be available in sizes big enough to fit my hands, I'll look into that. Thanks.

I have big hands too (its a bit of a squeeze to get them through the Viking rings), but the XL 'Smurf' gloves are working for me. They are plenty big, even with the insulator inner-glove.

Have you embraced your inner blue side?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom