Waterproof light switches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raftingtigger

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This project started out as a (hopefully) simple flashlight repair, but has quickly mushroomed into much more. I'm thinking about waterproof switch ideas. My constraint is not much real estate to mount the switch to, and cost.

Now the fun part - flame on about any of these ideas:

1. Get a micro sized toggle switch (it might fit in the tailcap) and dip the installed switch in rubber/plastic dip (the kind you can find in a hardware store)

2. Take a standard flashlight push on/off tailcap and fill it with mineral oil and seal it. I'm thinking there might be enough stretch in the rubber cover to allow working the switch, but pressure would no longer affect it.

3. Bring the pos/neg terminals to the outside of the tailcap and let the seawater finish the connection.

Other ideas?

Of course I could make a real battery and just use the light head for a can light...

Put the light in a sealed bag and put a tiny hole in the switch's rubber cover so external pressure will not affect it.

I use magnetic reed switches. The reed switch is placed inside the waterproof enclosure, and I mount a magnet in a slide on the outside. In that way, I avoid drilling any more holes that might be a point of failure. Of course, this means the housing has to be non-magnetic, such as PVC, plexiglass, etc... Here is one on the back of a DIY UW video light.

PICT02312.jpg

Last edited:
I use magnetic reed switches. The reed switch is placed inside the waterproof enclosure, and I mount a magnet in a slide on the outside. In that way, I avoid drilling any more holes that might be a point of failure. Of course, this means the housing has to be non-magnetic, such as PVC, plexiglass, etc... Here is one on the back of a DIY UW video light.

View attachment 141006

I like the idea of the reed switches, eliminates a potential failure point. Did you order this from a online supplier?

Yes, I got them online. I think I ordered them from McMaster-Carr, but I'll check on that when I get to my home computer. I'm certain there are a variety of sources for them, though, and they come in a wide array of sizes. Just be certain to get one that will handle the current load for whatever application you are using them.

try radio shack some dive lights use reed switches like the 4 cell prinston and old darrel allen and national divers 8 cel

I have an old, old super-cheap light that may have even been a freebie. It clips onto my big strobe to act as an aiming light and general-purpose narrow-beam dive light. Any way, it is SO cheap that (not per design) the squeeze as you pass ten feet generally turns it on. This turns out to be a pretty cool feature :cool2:. It's fully automatic! I wonder if you could even make one to do that on purpose?

Back
Top Bottom