DIY Gopro mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelemvor

Big Fleshy Monster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm yet another guy considering a DIY gopro dive mount setup. I'm thinking of making it mostly out of PVC tubing since I have a LOT left over from a lawn sprinkler project. I've got a question about sealing the tubes. Recently, I've seen posts where folks seem to be going to great lengths to seal the inside of tubes used on camera mounts. I'm wondering why? Is there some reason not to just have holes at various points in the tubing and let water flow through it?

I use a DIY PVC mount for my GoPro and drilled a number of holes so it drains better. I think you have the option of either sealing it completely (full of something to prevent compression?) or drill a bunch of holes for water to flow in and out of the pipe. The only thing I can think to seal the tube is if you are putting something in the tube to make it less bouyant.

So I built the thing, and now I've got these two inexpensive DRIS dive lights that I want to put on the top of the "Y". Problem is, they're quite negative. I was thinking of rebuilding a sealed one, and putting a little C02 cartridge or other air source and an overpressure valve on it to help compensate. Something vaguely along the lines of this for the c02. I haven't really looked into it much other than some initial thoughts.

Comments?

I made mine out of PVC and drilled a lot of holes in it, works great!! I put several pieces of bungee cord (shock cord) with light mooring line clips and it clips to a d ring on my zeagle ranger. I really like the set up!!

So I built the thing, and now I've got these two inexpensive DRIS dive lights that I want to put on the top of the "Y". Problem is, they're quite negative. I was thinking of rebuilding a sealed one, and putting a little C02 cartridge or other air source and an overpressure valve on it to help compensate. Something vaguely along the lines of this for the c02. I haven't really looked into it much other than some initial thoughts.

Comments?
Personally, I'd just tether the thing rather than creating a separate air compartment that needs management. I'd be interested in seeing how you do it if you decide to go ahead with it though.

Back
Top Bottom