DIY GoPro Tray - HANDLES

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

acteg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted previously about a DIY tray that I made. The tray itself is pretty simple, a piece of aluminum stock drilled with 1/4" holes to mount jump rope handles. Well a couple of dives back, one of the handles fell off when I bumped into something and it was lost to the ocean. The threading on the handles was not very deep so even if I bought a new handle, I thought I would always have this potential risk of losing my handles. I did not want to continue buying $10 jump ropes every time I lost a handle, so I decided to come up with a cheaper better alternative.

Here is what you need:

3/4" threaded on both ends sprinkler extension (black or gray pvc at lowes/home depot)) - 12" length, cost is approx. $1.86
2 - 3/4" pvc end caps (maybe $.25 each)
2 - washers that fit in the end caps ( $.20 each)
2 - 1/4" stainless nuts (already had these from previous build)
2 - 1/4" stainless lock nuts (already had these from previous build)
2 - 1/4" stainless eyelets ( or you could use regular bolts, totally up to you)

So here is what you do,

Cut the rounded ends of the pvc end caps off about a 1/4" past where they start to round from the body of the cap. This will leave a small lip inside the cap which will be the shelf that your washer rests on.

Cut the sprinkler extension in half. If you have some bicycle grips or old motorcycle grips, throw them on and then cut the sprinkler extension a little more to fit. I used old motorcycle grips. Having compressed air to help slide the grips on is a big help (there are other methods - alcohol, etc).

Bolt the caps to the tray, screw the handles onto the caps... voila. I really like this way because then the whole thing breaks down really easily for travel, and the threading on the handles is deep and doesn't feel like it could pop off.

Total cost for this tray was about $10 - $15 (motorcycle grips were some old ones that I saved from a while back). (the new handles cost me about $3, everything else I already had from my first tray).

20130315_183818_resized_3.jpg20130315_174317_resized_2.jpg20130315_181138_resized_2.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom