Morph 1000 DIY Soft Goodman handle for under $3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chilly_Dipper

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Thought I would post this since I've got about 40 dives on it and I'm extremely happy with the results.

The back story
I purchased a Hog Morph 1000 system about a year ago from HOG and got one of the neoprene mitts with it. After attempting to use the light with the supplied glove a couple time I quickly realized the design was really not a good one for cold water divers such as myself, so I sat down and designed a more compatible good man handle for cold water divers. Below are my results

2013-11-07 17.31.55.jpg2013-11-07 17.32.04.jpg2013-11-07 17.32.16.jpg

Basically the total cost for the handle was $3 (that's including $1 to replace a broken drill bit) excluding the bolt snap. Bill of materials was:
1 PVC cutting board purchased at dollar store $1
1 supposedly stainless split ring $0.5
2 zip ties .20
and finally about 1 foot of bungee @ $0.5

Took about 1/2 in the shop with a drill press to complete this. Let me know what you think.

The entire proect was completed using a drill press.

so you got the curved part using the handle of the cutting board --
theoretically this should work for most dive lights then... for a hand-held could include a short leash for the wrist using extra bungee.

i don't have enough cash to get a new light yet... open to suggestions for one $100 or less with 250 lumen at least w/LED. suitable for OW night dives in south florida. (just got a new laptop so tapped out)
might use this idea to rig a goodman handle for my pistol grip light

so you got the curved part using the handle of the cutting board --
theoretically this should work for most dive lights then... for a hand-held could include a short leash for the wrist using extra bungee.

Actually no I got ambitious and ground out the curve using a sanding wheel on the drill press.... 40 grit wheel with a 3' diameter...I even drilled the bungee holes in at a 45 degree angle so that they come out of the side of the mount and not the bottom.

Yes it should although with the Morph the shape of the head was more conducive to this style of mounting since it doesn't flare out light a standard light head does.

The morph 1000 is a great and inexpensive light. I Dive two of them (one is a video head) on every five. I have one on my camera and my other on the HOG hand mount (20 bucks I think). Good easy setup.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom