cheap waterproof cannister ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I need ideas for a cheap waterproof canister good to 140 feet. I don't have a dive light to empty out and use as a case. I have a otterbox 1000, but I don't trust it to 140. Right now I am leaning to a short pvc tube end cap and test plug. I am not sure on what type of test plug to get. If anybody has a cheaper idea please let me know.

---------- Post added December 25th, 2013 at 09:15 PM ----------

It seems like a test plug is the way to go. Does anybody know what type they are using in the airspeed press instant light section?

What are you trying to waterproof it makes a big diffrence for instance you can "waterproof" with mineral oil and a simple tube with press. Caps

I am making a simple dive canister to store dry items such as car keys ect.

I don't know what the "etc" you want to protect is, but car keys don't need a waterproof cylinder. If you're wearing a drysuit, put the key in the pocket of your undergarment. If you're diving wet, wear it on a string or carry it in a pocket. If it is a chipped key that can't get wet, get a copy made without a chip. The copy will unlock the door, but will not start the car. Leave the chipped key in the glove compartment and take the dumb key with you.

Unless you have more stuff you absolutely need to take with you and keep dry, you are looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Yeah rental car on Bonaire I don't think I'll be doing that. Also I thought this was the DIY section. The whole point is finding problems that don't exist. Once again I ask if anybody knows what type of test plug people are using to seal a two inch pipe.

Well if it is for a trip that requires a flight i would advise against bringing a non descript tube device with you but if you must

A test plug will not work for the application they are designed to resist presure inside from getting out i. Your application you need to account for a lessor presure inside then outside the pipe which water being the nice guy that it is will be more thwn happy to fill to eq the presure

So back to the issue at hand

Air is really compressible thats good because it lets you pack air into a tank but it is bad because it can cause a negative pressure welcomeing in water

So fill the tube with something non compressible or at least less compressible

You could bag your items in a ziplock ( suck out as much air as possible) place the bag it the tube fill it with sand witb that setup you could just use one end cap and one internal thread cap with some plumers tape

Or use two presscaps and plastidip both ends so they meet in the middle you can only open it once unless you redip it though

---------- Post added December 26th, 2013 at 05:22 PM ----------

Btw if you must know the test cap for two inch your looking for is commonly sold as a french drain cap

Does anybody remember the travel canister light that a dive club was selling on scuba board about two years ago. It took d or c cell batteries and was closed with a test plug. I'm trying to figure out what brand they used.

Buy a cheap second-hand dive torch with a suitable depth rating and diameter sufficient to take whatever you need.

Empty out the lighting components and batteries, pop your stuff in, close it up and secure it to yourself by your preferred method.

Job done.

Too expensive. I'm committed to a two inch PVC pipe with a glued on cap and removable end of some sort. The test plug seem to be the easiest and cheapest method. The airspeed press dive light companion has an instant light build that utilizes one. Does anybody know what type or brand they use for that build.

I don't know of any Bonairian rental cars that have chips in them. I take a small quick-link and clip the key to my BC. My dive buddies put the key in a flexible bag/lanyard thing and don't worry if it leaks. You are not going to be locking your car anyway, so hide the key in the car. Lots of solutions without becoming a plumber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom