DIY version of the sola 2100 FS video light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'd like to make something similar to this $800 light for $150 or less and in only a day of actual physical labor time (though willing to spend more time researching online and shopping for parts).Think that's possible or am I aiming too high?

LIGHT & MOTION || SOLA Video 2100 Flood/Spot Dive Light

Have you seen any DIY instructions that produced a similar product? Or have any suggestions on how to start figuring out how to build this thing?

I have access to tons of tools so I'm not limited by that. But I don't want to use any saws or sawlike tools as I'm afraid I'll cut my finger off. I'd rather spend closer to $150 and do less work than spend $20 and do more.

I'd like the light to last 2 tanks at 60 foot depth. But I'll settle for one tank. The light can be somewhat larger and heavier but I don't want it to remain fairly small as I usually only take carry on. It's the quality of brightness and light uniformity that while doesn't have to be exactly as good as the above, I'd like to keep as high as an $800 would give me.

Also, the exteriour cannisters look about all the same to me regardless of whether it was a high quality light or not. I found some dive lights for like $30 on ebay with cannisters about the same size as the more expensive light above.

I was thinking that using an existing cheaper light exterior canister but changing the inside would save me from some work and would produce a professional looking product. Think that's a good idea?

Thanks a lot everyone.

EDIT: If it makes things simpler, I'm willing to go with something like the below too. It can be up to maybe around 3 lbs. If I have to in order to meet my one day physical labor limit, I'll go with just one brightness level though two or 3 would be nice.

http://www.lightandmotion.com/underwater/sola4000v.html

Last edited:
Check out Guba's thread here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/439374-constructing-cheap-uw-video-light.html

I've made a very similar pair of lights but haven't gotten my gasket right to keep them dry. Once I get that I'll be diving them regularly.

Totally possible in a day if you're comfortable with soldering and familiar with the machining tools required. I used a bandsaw to cut my lids and then router to make the "high hat" lip on them. Pretty simple. The rest is just glue and screw.

DIY Video Light

I didn't find the diffuser method too successful, always left a hotspot on the video although in the water it looked ok... I took the reflector out of some cheap Chinese lights... and they work well...

JohnohUK's Ramblings: DIY Underwater Video light for my Sony Action Cam

IMG_20130712_132604.jpg IMG_20130829_182157.jpg

These have run for about a year now, maybe 40 dives, 900lm a piece... for £18 each ( $30) you can't argue... not sure they will last another yr as the salt corrosion has knackered the switch on one... Worth noting that, you can't remove the reflector on all lights so you might be scuppered with this mod..

Last edited:
Refracting diffusers need to be inside the light to have the same effect in, and out, of the water. Opaque white diffusers can be outside the light, but they are not very transmission effective and spread the light so widely they noticeably reduce the apparent light intensity.

Also, diffusers need to cover the entire "opening" of the light, otherwise some of the light will get around the diffuser and be projected as a hot spot.

Removing the reflector can be very effective. LEDs generally have a wide, uniform, light distribution. The only issue, with some lights, is the position of the LED within the barrel. The light cone will have a hard edge if the LED is positioned too far back, essentially the shadow of the front of the light barrel. If the LED is positioned close to the front of the light, as johnohuk's appear to be, you should get good results.

Yes your right, the LED needs to be as close to the lense as you can manage... without touching I guess.. I use it with the video camera in 120 degree mode and I noticed a light edge in one corner...cured by a second light and moving the light closer to the camera... you can see it in the picture of the tompot blenny on my blog...just..

johnohum, how many lumens was the light you retrofitted? I'm thinking about retrofitting a 4000 lumen light though I do wonder how hot the glass will get with the lamp closer to it.

I think I'll try the diffuser first since it's so little work. Then if that doesn't work, no harm done cause then I can try johnohum's idea with the same light.

I saw the below DIY video for making 10000 and 5000 lumen lights - video looked great (though he shot his video out of water so can't really tell for sure). I was drooling but too much effort for me.

Thanks guys for everything.

10.000 and 5.000 lumen DIY diving flashlights - YouTube

I didn't find the diffuser method too successful, always left a hotspot on the video although in the water it looked ok... I took the reflector out of some cheap Chinese lights... and they work well...

JohnohUK's Ramblings: DIY Underwater Video light for my Sony Action Cam

View attachment 179557 View attachment 179558

These have run for about a year now, maybe 40 dives, 900lm a piece... for £18 each ( $30) you can't argue... not sure they will last another yr as the salt corrosion has knackered the switch on one... Worth noting that, you can't remove the reflector on all lights so you might be scuppered with this mod..

Similar idea here, except that I used white matte spray paint to cover the parabolic mirror. Less work (paint, let dry and you're done) and the loss in light strength is minimal. Those lights are about $12 each and output at least an estimated 600-700 lumens.

2014-03-14 17.34.40.jpg 2014-03-14 17.34.57.jpg 2014-03-14 17.35.27.jpg

100M Underwater Diving 4000Lm CREE XM L 3XT6 LED Flashlight Waterproof Torch | eBay

I was thinking this light to try the retrofit with but I do wonder if the lens is not flush with the front of the light so I can't move the light forward like johnohuk suggested.

What do you guys think of this light or do you have a suggestion on another light to retrofit?

I can actually try everyone's retrofit ideas on one light in no time at all (thanks a lot by the way).

Do you guys know if there is a guide online somewhere on the basic concepts of building your own scuba video lights?

I want to know the pieces of a light, how to pick the pieces that are required, etc. I may try to build an even better light next time but want to understand more so I know what I'm building is safe and effective.

Thanks a lot for all your help.

Hi heehee62, that was the one I was thinking for my next project... a guy over on CPF had one and its still working which is a good sign!

Ebay "4000 lm", "120m" Dive Light.

You could buy one and try ? if the reflector doesn't come out then u have a nice torch..

My only worry was the length being too long for mounting on an arm or goodman handle... So I was more likely to chop it and have a canister for power.....

BTW I've no idea what the lumens of my chinese torches are, definitely not 1800lm as advertised.. more like 800-900 if i'm lucky.. and expect 4000lm is not true either.. half that maybe.. but still bright.... two 800lm lights is more than adequate for me..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom