Canister light burn tester

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TeamZissou

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience and recommendations for resistor selection for a canister light burn tester. I have a 12 volt battery, 18 watt lamp that pulls 2 amps. I'd like to get a resistor that mimics the lamp to save the bulb, but achieve a similar burn time for periodic testing.

Thanks in advance for the input. Parts sources and photos welcome!

Just use the bulb? An extra hour or 2 of burn time every 6 months should notmake a significant difference. You may find the bulb is cheaper than an alternative?

..snip..
I have a 12 volt battery, 18 watt lamp that pulls 2 amps. I'd like to get a resistor that mimics the lamp to save the bulb, but achieve a similar burn time for periodic testing.

Something wrong there.
12V x 2Amps = 24W. Not 18W

18W should pull 1.5Amps @ 12V

8ohms @ 12V will pull 1.5A and dissipate 18W

If you're going to use a resistor remember that it will run very hot and you should buy one rated for more than 18W. I'd go for a series or parallel combination to spread the heat dissipation. Example put 8 resistors each 1ohm x 5W in series. These should easily be available at any electronic components shop.
Personally I'd just go to a car parts store and get some automobile lamps and sockets that add to 18W. For example a common tail light bulb will be 5W so 3 or 4 in parallel will be fine. Some shops sell 6W bulbs so 3 of those would be spot on.

Mike, K, Thanks for the fast replies. I thought the power calculations looked wrong, too - But I spoke with a manufacturer's technician, who assured me that the 18W bulb (and light head) together draw about 2 amps; he mentioned the 21 Watt bulb drew about 2.5 amps. I'm not an electronics guy, but I imagine that it's lost in the light head ballast and efficiency.

So far I like the cheap option of the auto tail light bulbs that together will pull 2 amps.

K, If I had just one 12v canister, I'd probably just burn the lamp - but I have multiple and I'd like to put them on a standard burn tester with a watts-up (to collect the data) and a low voltage cut off (to keep from damaging the battery).

Lucca - thanks - That's what I was searching for - and I happen to read German, so Dipl. Ing Niehues' website was perfect. And you are correct - I have an older HID bulb.

Back
Top Bottom