DIY Scuba Muffler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dp4610yz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Do u think it is possible to make some thing to reduce the sound of exhaled bubbles without going towards Rebreathers and CounterLungs.

Does anyone have any idea....i remember some really old thread where someone did a hose out from the exhaust outlet and divert the exhaust to be back...but is there a way to diffuse the bubbles to make it exit with less pressure or sound

Regards
Daniel

I can't think of anything you could do that would make the exhaust gas exit with less pressure or sound that wouldn't drastically increase the exhale WOB. That could lead to CO2 retention or other problems, even on open circuit diving. But I'm sure there are lots of smarter folks out there.

Please pardon any typos. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't think of anything you could do that would make the exhaust gas exit with less pressure or sound that wouldn't drastically increase the exhale WOB. That could lead to CO2 retention or other problems, even on open circuit diving. But I'm sure there are lots of smarter folks out there. k
And I like to think that the dive equipment manufacturers have a few smart people around very now and then. So if it was easy to do...everyone would have already done it....

It's not like we just found out that OC is noisy.

Get a double hose, which puts the noise behind you, then use some open cell foam around the exhaust to break up the bubbles. Otherwise it is time for a rebreather.

Bob
---------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Wearing a thicker hood may help......

A double hose gets the noise behind you but depending on the exhaust valve in use (duckbill, mushroom) it is still significant.

My theory is that there are 2 things in play....

One is the modulation of the exhaust valve. If you will pardon the metaphor consider your cheeks when you fart. That's a tough nut to crack.

The other is the actual bubble discharge. For this a fine porous material (think aquarium bubbler) could change the glug/pop to a fizz. The trick is doing so without increasing the work of breathing. This will probably require volume and surface area. Those features have the best chance of implementation in the form of a double hose regulator where the scale is much bigger than most single hose second stages.. Also if a stream of bubbles is to become a cloud you probably don't want that in your face.

Diverting the exhaust of a single hose regulator to an alternate release location has undesirable effects on the stage's performance.

Pete

Because rebreather kind of reduce the noise signature as there is no bubbles and it allows for a more non intrusive way of diving without scaring off the marine creatures with the sound of our exhaled air bubbles escaping.. When there is less disturbance it allows for more natural behavior of those fishes..

Every time when I exhale; I observed that the fishes will change in direction in terms of swimming or go into hiding...but when I intake or exhale really slowly.. They seems to be more natural doing their own stuff..

That is the reason why i m thinking in that direction.. Not wanting to go rebreather due to the cost at this current point of time..I am thinking if it is possible to reduce the sound..

When Stan Waterman was filming Hammerheads in Mexico he came up with a muffler to diffuse the bubbles behind him in a very fine stream. Try doing some research and you may come up with a drawing. FWIW they wound up breath hold diving to do the filming as even with mufflers the sharks were skittish. If you are just doing this for photography go with a Double Hose Phoenix Regulator.

I would like a quieter reg too but something I never understood. The ocean is a very noisy place, why are the fish so skittish.

Some noises I remember:
In curacao, the chains of a ship where making loud cools clanking noises the entire time.
I was diving in North Carolina and keeps hearing these burps for the entire dive(long burps like people do) on a few dives. I was told they were frog fish.
Parrot fish eating coral.
Snap, krackel and pop noises on many coral reefs.

When Stan Waterman was filming Hammerheads in Mexico he came up with a muffler to diffuse the bubbles behind him in a very fine stream. Try doing some research and you may come up with a drawing. FWIW they wound up breath hold diving to do the filming as even with mufflers the sharks were skittish. If you are just doing this for photography go with a Double Hose Phoenix Regulator.

i would put instead of foam ''capillary hose for moistening the soil '' i think it would not reduce exhale (large hole inside) and water pressure would

do the rest of the job Claber - Masters of Water - drip irrigation

but hose should have inner volume of one breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom