Sidemount BCDs-Inner Bladder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pablojrod

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi guys I am new to the DIY Forum so bear with me if the Question seems easy to solve.
We ve been experimenting with sidemount configurations and DIY wings down in Guatemala to find a perfect fit.
We've tried pretty much every sidemount commercial BCD and something is always not quite right. (Or we are just hard to please.)

So we went our own way and have been experimenting for a while using different materials for the inflatable portion of the BCD. We have some good designs, but sooner or later it all comes down to the inner bladder. Tried tons of materials and they always give out after some dives.
For the outer shell we have no problems, straps and plates no prob. but for the inner bladder we just can't make it work.

We are giving up and going mainstream. So do you guys have any info on a Manufacturer that could custom make inner bladders for us? I know we won't go into mass production,so if custom is not an option anyone know where they sell the inner bladders, of different shapes and sizes? We only need the latex/plastic bladder, the rest we have it covered.

Thanks

Pablojrod

I would give Tobin at DSS a call. My understanding is he has the equipment in-house to make bladders. If he cannot help you then I would start calling plastics and packaging companies for leads. Good Luck

Awesome. Thank You.

Try heat sealing fabric from Seattle fabrics. It is the stuff they make some BCD and wing bladders from, and the DSMBs from. It is easy to work with. Scissors and a household iron. I use a craft iron set to about 400F.

Thank You raftingtigger, will order some and let you know

I'm still using my heat sealed bladder with a few mods. I have sewed the seams and then sealed them with aquaseal. After many more dives I noticed a small area where the coating (inside) was breaking down and SLOWLY seeping air. So after patching the first spot with a thin layer of aquaseal, I have now put a thin layer over the entire bladder. Not as much work as it sounds.

My guess is that the heat sealable pu coating degrades if constantly wrt (eg inside a bladder).

Last edited:
Ugh, autocorrect. HEAT SEALED. SEWED THE SEAMS

Corrected the post above.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom