Make your own Monopod for Intova Underwater Canmera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaRat

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I went to the local Sports Supply places (several of them) and failed to find a good monopod that would allow to tip the camera up or down as I swim forward. The ones I found cost around 69 Samolians (the cheapest one) and you also (big surprise) had to purchase the holder to attach to the camera to attach to the monopod. LOL
I made a much better and lighter one like this: Get the window washer wiper with extendable handle at Harbor Freight with swiveling head $4.89, it has four little phillips screws on top holding the rubber blade and sponge on top.
Remove the screws, take the rubber and sponge off. Cut the holder off on both ends and leave the two middle screw holes and it will shorten the head perfectly for the camera mount. Use a jigsaw with a fine tooth blade and set the saw for plastic.
Now, for Intova, I found that the 1/4" by 25 bolt fits the threads of the camera perfectly. Get the stainless steel ones. get the 1 1/1" long one at your local Home Depot. Drill the 1/4" hole anywhere you want on the top of the holder between the two leftover screw holes in the plastic holder.
Now place a rubber washer, thin one, underneath the plastic and push the bolt thru. Place the top plastic holder part you cut, back on and install the two small screws and lock the stud down with a 1/4" x 25 stainless steel nut. Now install a small wing nut upside down, so when you screw the camera on you can tighten it and be ready to take vids. The platform you mounted your camera on will point perfectly forward as you swim with it horizontally. It also tips forward and locks at 90 degrees if you want to take vids looking down. The handle extends if you don't like being chawed on by the locals for close-up work.

---------- Post added June 28th, 2014 at 05:32 PM ----------

Update on the thread size for bolts, it is 1/4" by 20 not 25. sorry fellow frogs

useless.gif

Back
Top Bottom