generic coolant hose versus loc-line brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to make a dive rig and was going to buy some loc-line hose off ebay for my arms. Anything branded "loc-line" seems to cost triple as much.

How can I tell if the generic brand "coolant" hose is good for our under pressure diving situations?

Thanks.

Could you elaborate on what you are designing?

I found the loc-line for cheaper on another website so I'm all good. Thanks for replying though. I'd delete my original post but I don't seem to be able to.

The idea of cheapest generic anything as part of a life support system just doesn't sound like a path I'd want to go down.

Steve

Please do post the final results. Can they hold the strobes in place? I was thinking of the same thing but I am worried that they cannot handle the weight and "droop".

I found the loc-line for cheaper on another website so I'm all good. Thanks for replying though. I'd delete my original post but I don't seem to be able to.

Wait, so you post asking others for help implying that you expect others to respond, but you can't be bothered to talk about what you are making?

How is our time, knowledge and experience, less valuable than yours again?

Not trying to be rude, but it seems incredibly presumptuous to do that. It's a DIY forum. Everyone is either making, or has thought abut making stuff. Be a contributor, not just a taker.

I googled loc-line and found out what it was. I assumed it was for a camera rig. It looks like the stuff they use to make arms for lights.

heehee62 is talking about strobe/video light arms so not exactly life-support essential...LOL

Like this:

Capture.JPG

Locline Flexible Video Light Arm discounts on sale Light And Motion

Please do post the final results. Can they hold the strobes in place? I was thinking of the same thing but I am worried that they cannot handle the weight and "droop".
What's the weight of your strobe in water? Most I've seen are close to neutrally buoyant. So it may "droop" a little on the surface but...

It's hollow inside so some people add thin wall rubber/plastic tubing to increase the rigidity if needed. But it probably isn't needed if you use 3/4" loc-line.
It's also pretty tough to snap apart so loc-line sells special pliers. The Original Modular Hose System | Loc-Line - Three Quarter Inch

SeaLife used to use it and Ikelite still does. Ikelite | Flex Arm for DS51

What's the weight of your strobe in water? Most I've seen are close to neutrally buoyant. So it may "droop" a little on the surface but...

It's hollow inside so some people add thin wall rubber/plastic tubing to increase the rigidity if needed. But it probably isn't needed if you use 3/4" loc-line.
It's also pretty tough to snap apart so loc-line sells special pliers. The Original Modular Hose System | Loc-Line - Three Quarter Inch

SeaLife used to use it and Ikelite still does. Ikelite | Flex Arm for DS51

Thanks! I think I'll give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom