My latest DIY project.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been dreaming about designing a new Contoured backplate that is comfortable, streamlined, and can use a STA (so any wing can be used), and can accept doubles.
After many sleepless nights I finally figured out how to do it. It's a tad labor intensive with a lot of welding, but this is the only way I could figure out how to retain the contour shape + the weight needed (over 5 lbs) + 11" center holes for STA mounting + a way to bolt on doubles.
Note* this is only a prototype so please excuse any rough edges or unfinished looks.
Basically I took a modifies version of my Freedom Contour and widened it a little and welded a 2" cut channel on the back backwards so the flat side is out and the cut part is curved to match the shape of the contouring. I drilled two holes 11" center with an outer access hole with just enough room to bury a bolt and nut and be able to keep it from digging into my back.

Some of the features:
11" center holes so any STA and any wing can be used.
Threads are 5/16" standard 18 , so 1/2" socket is used to tighten nuts.
Solid welded design - very strong
Top slots are just one single slot so both webbing sides are independent. This is nice because if one side wears out it's only a 6' piece, and it makes side to side adjustment a breeze. Note how a keeper is placed on webbing to secure strap and a second keeper is used to secure extra webbing tail. the top doubled webbing also acts as a chafe guard for the main webbing underneath.
Plus there is adjustment so webbing can be tightened or loosened for added versitility, either at the top or on the sides.
Fully shaped and contoured just like the last model.
Will take doubles just like any other plate.
Threaded rod fits right into holes and will bolt up.
Unbelievable comfort with doubles.

So what do you think?

I still need to water test it but conditions were bad today otherwise you'd have a full dive report too.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 554
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 488
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 487
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 492
  • 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 453
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 468
  • 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 434
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 469
I like it, it looks surprisingly similar to what I'm doing to modify my old original freedom plate to work with my newer Oxycheq wing. The main difference in what I was going to do is use a small piece of I-beam SS from the salvage yard and not use an STA, I kind of like your version better though, maybe I'll do that instead.

This is what I ended up doing. Cut off the old tank lift and ground it down. Drilled two holes for carriage bolts which allow me to use a Hollis STA so I didn't have to re cut the cam band holes. I put a 12" length of SS rectangular tubing in which is dual purpose. It adds weight when I dive with a drysuit and it lifts the Oxy wing off the plate giving it's bladder full inflation potential as opposed to when it's sandwiched between a BP and tank without using an STA. At the bottom bolt I put a 1/2" plastic washer that lifts the tank up a little mimicking the original design. It's a little ghetto, but I dove it a couple times last weekend and it works great.

_MG_8610.jpg_MG_8611.jpg_MG_8612.jpg_MG_8613.jpg_MG_8615.jpg_MG_8616.jpg

This is what I ended up doing. Cut off the old tank lift and ground it down. Drilled two holes for carriage bolts which allow me to use a Hollis STA so I didn't have to re cut the cam band holes. I put a 12" length of SS rectangular tubing in which is dual purpose. It adds weight when I dive with a drysuit and it lifts the Oxy wing off the plate giving it's bladder full inflation potential as opposed to when it's sandwiched between a BP and tank without using an STA. At the bottom bolt I put a 1/2" plastic washer that lifts the tank up a little mimicking the original design. It's a little ghetto, but I dove it a couple times last weekend and it works great.

View attachment 189002View attachment 189003View attachment 189004View attachment 189005View attachment 189006View attachment 189007
That's fantastic!!

that looks cool, Why not run the tank cam bands the other way and run them between the plate and the STA? Seems like it might protect the tank from scratching and give a little compression between the two pieces of metal.

that looks cool, Why not run the tank cam bands the other way and run them between the plate and the STA? Seems like it might protect the tank from scratching and give a little compression between the two pieces of metal.
You mean on the STA?
For one, the bottom wouldn't work because the bolt would be in the way. The top could work that way, but I just set it up how any other STA is set up. I suppose a rubber pad of some sort or a 4 - 5" piece of extra webbing could be layed over or attached with velcro somehow over the way it is now for additional cushion and protection.

Any STA can be used. I just fabbed up the one you see pretty quick in the shop with hand tools so I could get the thing out and dive it.

You mean on the STA?
For one, the bottom wouldn't work because the bolt would be in the way. The top could work that way, but I just set it up how any other STA is set up. I suppose a rubber pad of some sort or a 4 - 5" piece of extra webbing could be layed over or attached with velcro somehow over the way it is now for additional cushion and protection.

Any STA can be used. I just fabbed up the one you see pretty quick in the shop with hand tools so I could get the thing out and dive it.

oh yeah the lower bolt would conflict with the belt (a little), just seems like a reverse belt routing might be better, I made an STA out of an hourglass shaped piece of PVC pipe.. I don't have any real tools.

I like them both, streamline no bulk. Something extra I would like would be a glide system for the belt. DDS has one, seems a bit pricey, made mine from D rings. With my bad shoulders so much easier to open up the harness get in then tighten it all down. No need to adjust belt slides for drysuit or wetsuit thickness.

What is the real advantage of this backplate, because I do not see any?
It's custom shaped to fit your back both vertically and horizontally. The cut away design allows the tank to settle in closer to your body for better streamlining and relieves any rubbing on the plate by your shoulder blades.
The perimiter is contoured (rolled outward) to allow even further comfort plus eliminating any harsh edges that might chafe drysuits and or wetsuits.
The way the straps come out of the top of the plate they are more optimally placed providing comfort on the trapezius and also prevents the straps form sliding off your shoulders.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom