Zookeeper (LCU) Homemade?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djdalite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone made this homemade yet? Looks rather simple but I can't tell how large the PVC is 6-7in diameter? the length as well? Also how the rings are attached on top/bottom and the funnel portion. If I had a few pics of it broken down or if anyone has attempted to make one and would share some pics that would be great.

you know the zookeeper started as a DIY unit right?

1 piece of 6" or 8" PVC pipe cut to whatever length you want to make the thing. They quote 7.25" diameter, but I don't know if that is the pipe or the fittings on the outside. Either way, you can buy 6" or 8" pipe, but it's in 10' sections and it isn't cheap.

Put a cleanout adapter on the bottom so you can unscrew it to get them out. Get a pipe cap, cut a hole in it, put an appropriately sized funnel in and slit the sides, drill a bunch of small holes to drain water, and you're good to go. Not quite as fancy, but it is what it is. Cost is probably about $20 cheaper than a new one, maybe $30 and that is assuming you have all of the tools and primer/glue for the PVC. I'm sure you can find the screw on rings for the pipes they are using, but I'm not sure where.

Also fwiw, a 5 gallon bucket with some holes drilled in it and the same type of slits cut in the lid works just fine as well. A lot less elegant, but still very functional

I've seen short (a few feet or so) sections of various diameter PVC pipe at Home Depot from time to time, so you may get lucky and find a 6-inch or 8-inch one instead of having to buy the whole 10 feet (or you could pool together with some friends and make several out of one stick). I think the Zookeeper may be a custom-molded product - I've never seen 7.25-inch PVC pipe (or any flavor of nominal 6-inch or 8-inch PVC pipe that has that ID or OD) in the wild.

My friend owns a plumbing company so as far as PVC and parts go I have my pick of virtually everything in the warehouse. Im trying to figure out what type of rings they are using.

If it started as a DIY i dont understand why i cant find a lot of info about making one...in some pics it looks like the pipe towards the top if flared for the cone and then its fitted with a threaded pipe over it and then the rings go on it.

Luckly my friends plumbing warehouse got me close to what I need. FYI for those out there, its damn near impossible to find 7in PVC - the rings they have for the zookeeper are definitely custom made, as well as the 7in pipe. I ended up using the cones from them though. I'll post some pics when im finished but so far I think its a pretty sweet DIY

As promised. Sponsored by mid-state plumbing (Orlando,Florida). DIY zookeeper. Promptly named death trap

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421352551.835602.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421352567.338640.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421352579.992776.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1421352594.500219.jpg

Not to much to it. It's 6in pipe about 23-1/4in long (could deff go shorter, maybe 20in. It has two sleeves that have screw in caps similar to a waste drain pipe coming off your house. The funnel end cap we drilled out so it left just the ring and threads (used a giant hole saw). The funnel is made for zookeepers and fits a 7-1/4 diameter pipe, I used a bench grinder to fit it to the 6in pipe. The other end was a threaded flush cap that needed something to be able to open it with, I used a cheep cabinet handle (not ideal, and will probably change that as I can't stand it up on that end) - I also drilled holes in the cavities on that end to allow water to flow through and reduced drag. I then painted it. I used two eye hooks and lock nuts between those I ran para-cord. On the opposite side I used two Phillips bolts and lock nuts to hold the capped sleeves on securely (overkill). Honestly I probably didn't need it and could have glued it but wanted the option to take it apart. The smaller pipe standing next to it houses my 3 piece mako pole spear.

Ask away if anyone has questions. All parts were provided by my good friend and his fathers plumbing business, hence the logo.

I was thinking about using the lobster inn top (you can buy it alone on amazon) and getting a clear acrylic tube. I thought it being able to be see through would be pretty cool. And then a cap that would be bungee'd on.

thats not a bad idea, i tell ya though its hard to source pipe bigger than 4in, you will also pay a lot for it as 6&8in are standard sizes from what i hear, they cost a lot to buy on the internet, maybe you could fine a commercial plumbing buisness near you and source it from them. I haven't seen anything clear that is that big, if you do find it though let me know where

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom