Whats a good glue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisS

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a polyethelene sit on top dive kayak. I want to mount a running light that has a detachable rubber type base. Does anyone know of a good glue for joining the two.

Thanks

It's kinda tough to get anything to stick to polyethylene. Low temp hot glue is your best bet.. but that still probably won't work well at all.

Of course, a piece of the same polyethylene the boat is made out of would work decently too. You might want to contact the manufacturer of your boat and see if they'll send you a piece or maybe some "repair" material. You just melt the stuff down like regular hot glue, which is, incidentally, mostly polyethylene. You might have to actually melt a bit of the plastic on the boat to get the weld to go correctly, and of course there's no promise that your light will stick to the polyethylene either.

If this is going to be permanent, just drive a few screws in there. Be sure to use a rubber washer under them to keep the inside of the boat sealed.

DennisS:
I have a polyethelene sit on top dive kayak. I want to mount a running light that has a detachable rubber type base. Does anyone know of a good glue for joining the two.

Thanks
Marine 5200 will stick to anything

Check with a plastic shop and have it welded.

Gary D.

Gorilla glue has always worked well for me, but it takes a while to dry (4 hours - 24 hours) unlike epoxies and superglues. It claims to be waterproof, and I have always had good success with it. I bought it at home depot. I don't remember how much it was, but it wasn't bad, and there's a lot of it.

Forgot to mention I'm using it in a little DIY slate project right now...

Hi polyethelene is a very hard mtl to get anything to stick to I've worked in the marine industry for years and starboard is a polyethelene mtl and even 5200 will not make a good bond to it and 5200 stickes to almost anything and is super hard to seperate I would contact a local plastics supplyer look in the yellow pages under plastics. ask them if they have the glue for starboard it is fairly new and it is the only thing I've heard that will bond poly. Howie1a

DennisS:

Thanks

Most adhesive dispensers (glue bottles) are made of Polyethelene or polypro. This should tell you something.

I've found the best adhesive for either has been rivets.........

Regards,

Tobin

Pop rivets. simple and effective

DennisS:

Thanks

Nothing will stick to it.

About the only thing you can do iis use through bolts. Go to the local marine hardware store (like West Marine) and buy some stainless steel machine screws, fender waters and nylon insert lock nuts.

If you can't reach the inside then try some pop rivets. They make stainles steel pop rivets too

Thanks one and all. Rivets and through bolts were a last option. I was hoping someone knew of a "super" glue that would do polyethelene.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom