Ikelite Controls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Finally got my controls this week, just one question...

How do you bend the shafts?

It feels really hard to bend and like it will snap right off if I force it.

Do they need to be heated up, or should I just take a pair of pliers and just bend the sucker?

I believe they are made in stainless steel. Stainless steel is hard to bend for the little experience I had with this kind of steel. Maybe you should try to weld or to glue a homemade extension of the control. I also know that some shaft adaptators/extensions exist in radiocontrolled model boat. I don't know if this kind of strategy is efficient but maybe it is worth trying... Please, let us know of your progress ! :)

every one I've tried to bend beyond about 1/8" -broke

Well you are supposed to be able to bend them.

They do make controls with straight shafts, but the exact quote on Ikelite's site for these ones is "machined-to-bend".

So How?

grunzster:
Well you are supposed to be able to bend them.

They do make controls with straight shafts, but the exact quote on Ikelite's site for these ones is "machined-to-bend".

So How?
I saw that on their site also.
Have you tried to call and ask them what "machined to bend" means? I could never get any response as a DYI-er --although I did talk to them today about that control and they said it can be bent with pliers. give them a call.

I believe my controls were hard-tempered. I finally decided to slide a bendable ss tubing over my broken one.
sorce: http://www.smallparts.com/products/descriptions/htx-xtw.cfm

Yup that's pretty much it! Just use pliers.
Also they said DON'T heat it.

I machined the shafts to 1/8 ich dia in a lethe, then just bent them with a vise and vice grips. Here here is the secret! Stainless steel work hardens. So it doesn't like being bend, abd rebent. So make a little prototype shape using a wire coat hanger. Then just bend the stainless to match the finished shape of the coat hanger.

Here's and inside look of my housing with bend shafts.

Mike

grunzster:
Yup that's pretty much it! Just use pliers.
Also they said DON'T heat it.

Thanks.

If you have access to a lathe you can make your own glands like I did out of SS hex rod.
I use two internal orings which creates a nice reservoir for silicone grease to prevent the seal from drying out or salt crytals getting through to the inner oring.
Here's my drawing for those interested.
It fits standard 1/4 inch shaft dia.

MikeD

Scubacastor:
Nice work mddolson ! :)

Thanks.

If you have access to a lathe you can make your own glands like I did out of SS hex rod.
I use two internal orings which creates a nice reservoir for silicone grease to prevent the seal from drying out or salt crytals getting through to the inner oring.
Here's my drawing for those interested.
It fits standard 1/4 inch shaft dia.

MikeD

Hello Mike it looks like the image you posted of your control and gland design has disappeared with time. Any chance you can repost it? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom