DIY rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

For several years I have been studying rebreather philosophy and design, and am ready to start prototyping my own amateur rebreather project. Seems like a good way to keep busy this winter...

I am looking for like-minded souls in the Austin, TX area, for sharing of ideas and information, and to dive with. Besides, I figure the only way I can get someone to be my safety diver is to return the favor when they want to test their unit. :wink: A club, even, if there is enough interest.

Anyone interested should already know that there are a multitude of ways that a rebreather can kill you without warning, and many people have died using well-developed commercial rebreathers. Only a fool would want to design his or her own suicide machine.

Needless to say, any interested parties should have a high level of technical competence, and a healthy sense of humor. Please PM me if you are such a person.

I’m sure I’ll get a lot of flames on this one, but please try to keep ‘em constructive. i.e. tell me WHY I’m an idiot, not just that I am one. That way if there’s any danger I’m not already considering (standard SCUBA dangers plus: hypoxia, hyperoxia, hypercapnia, O2 toxicity (both depth and duration of exposure), ‘caustic coctail,’ buoyancy issues, ect.) I can also take it into consideration.

Thanks.

3dent:
Only a fool would want to design his or her own suicide machine.......

If this were true, there would be only ONE rebreather (suicide machine)...

Only thing I can say is I wish I were local, I'd learn quite a bit..

Good Luck

Danny

I don't want to be too negative, but is this really such a good idea with only around 30 dives experience? I would have thought that a little more training and experience might be in order here. Theory is fine to a point, however experience can be a lot more expensive to gain and I'm sure that we'd all hate to hear about something going wrong on this one.

jonnythan:

Thanks. These are among the web pages I’ve been visiting regularly over the last few years. Especially the AARG pages.

Scubaroo:
Are you an existing rebreather diver? If not, walk away now.

Kim:
I don't want to be too negative, but is this really such a good idea with only around 30 dives experience? I would have thought that a little more training and experience might be in order here. Theory is fine to a point, however experience can be a lot more expensive to gain and I'm sure that we'd all hate to hear about something going wrong on this one.

There are lots of perspectives. In my research I have run across two recurring themes that I agree with, at least in part: “No one should dive a rebreather unless they understand the principles well enough to design their own,” and, “It doesn’t matter how much open-circuit experience that you have, with a rebreather you will be starting over.” I have a plan of action that will develop lots of rebreather-related experience along the way.

Thanks for your concern.

3dent:
Anyone interested should already know that there are a multitude of ways that a rebreather can kill you without warning, and many people have died using well-developed commercial rebreathers. Only a fool would want to design his or her own suicide machine..

This is the exact phrase that sprung to my mind when I read the title of this thread, so I am relieved that you posted it yourself.

It sounds like an interesting project for those who know what they are doing. I would love to be involved in the design, I am not sure how I would like to be involved in the testing though..

be careful,, very careful 3dent

cancun mark:
This is the exact phrase that sprung to my mind when I read the title of this thread, so I am relieved that you posted it yourself.

Yeah, I thought I'd save other people the trouble.

cancun mark:
I would love to be involved in the design, I am not sure how I would like to be involved in the testing though.

Designing is definitely the safe part. I've run across some vague references to goats used in SCUBA testing, maybe I should give that some thought. :wink:

cancun mark:
be careful,, very careful 3dent

A major part of the plan. Thanks

I do not suggest that anyone build their own RB. For those who do it is wise to use a carefull progressive method of design, build and test.

Do you have a copy of "Mastering Rebreathers" by Jeffrey Bozanic?

Have you been to (and read) the CEDU site at;
http://home1.gte.net/doctrbob/CEDU000.htm

Tom Rose has lots of good stuff on his site at;
http://www.atlimp.com/dive.htm

If nothing else, you can learn a whole lot just in the planning stages.

pipedope:
I do not suggest that anyone build their own RB. For those who do it is wise to use a carefull progressive method of design, build and test.
That's the plan (with recursion). I expect this project to take a long, long time from initial pure O2 test bed to full-blown ECCR.
pipedope:
Do you have a copy of "Mastering Rebreathers" by Jeffrey Bozanic?
Not yet.
pipedope:
Have you been to (and read) the CEDU site at;
http://home1.gte.net/doctrbob/CEDU000.htm
Yep, many times.
pipedope:
Tom Rose has lots of good stuff on his site at;
http://www.atlimp.com/dive.htm
True. On a side note, have you read his "whale gets Ahab” story? Priceless.
pipedope:
If nothing else, you can learn a whole lot just in the planning stages.
Absolutely.

Back
Top Bottom