Weight Tubes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JVM4.0

Contributor
Reaction score
One of my favorite things about equipment intensive sports, is that I get to experiment with all sorts of wild ideas. I have been contemplating making some weights for my wife and I to use. My goal is to make them easy to handle, accurate, consistant in size throughout the weight range (the 5# will be the same physical size as the 2#, for instance), and clean.

I thought I had read a post where someone made theirs using sections of PVC pipe. The poster described putting some lead shot in sections of pipe, layering in some kind of goo to hold the shot in place inside the tube, installing end caps with drain holes in them, and away you go. Unfortunately, I can no longer find the original post, so I thought I'd see if any of you had any ideas about how to proceed.

Questions:
1) Regarding the "goo" to hold the shot in place. I was thinking of plain old latex caulk, but isn't that stuff bouyant?

2) Would you reccommend large or small diameter shot?

3) Does anyone have an idea of the volume vs weight factor? In other words, can I get 5# of shot into a 1 3/8" dia X 3.5" long pipe?

4)Has anyone done this before? With what results?

I'll be interested in seeing what we all come up with.........

Thanks!

Jim

1) RTV sinks. I don't know the SG of it, but at least it doesn't float. Another alternative would be to use lead sheet and roll it up into the PVC pipe. You can sometimes find it at scrap dealers. It's used to protect x-ray technicians.

2) Small diameter shot would leave less air space and the overall weight could be denser, but we're splitting hairs here. Whatever you can get the cheapest would be best.

3) Nope. Pure lead weighs .41 lb. per cubic inch. Tire weights and other alloys are slightly lighter. Your 1 3/8" x 3.5" tube (assuming inside diameter) would hold less than 3/4 lb of lead. [3.1416 x (1.375/2) x 3.5] = 1.65 cubic inches.

4) Yes. I ended up melting the shot down into ingots, and went back to block weights for my integrated weight bc. If you want a specific size, make a mold and melt your own lead. Old tire weights work good and are usually free (or very close to it). Keep an eye out for things you could use for a mold, but keep in mind that once you've poured lead in it, you can't cook or eat with it ever again.

to answer #3, use smaller diameter shot, it will create smaller voids between the shot, meaning that in a given area, you can pack in more lead.

I also use lead blocks for my weight pouches, you can melt it down in a soup can that has been cleaned out, and heat it over a flame. Then you can create shapes with aluminum foil and pour into those, you can use this to create blocks that are moulded to the shape of your weight pockets.

All great information, guys. For instance, I hadn't thought that I wouldn't be able to get at least 5# onto a tube of those particular dimensions. I like the idea of the lead sheets, too.

I've used RTV in the past on some other projects, and have a few half-used tubes laying around that I can find a good home for now. Hate to throw stuff away, you know.

As far as cost goes, I've found a local source that will sell shot used for shotgun reloading for about $20/25#, so cost isn't an issue, really.

On the other hand, molding my own weights might be a better way to go.

Thanks again for the info.

Hi
I make my own tubes from inertube, 1 -3/8" this works for me due to I like a bit of lead with my Neoprene drysuit and standard sizes will not wrap.
1. take tube & tie or clamp one end & fill with shot-the more fine it is the best! Wrap around your exposure suit and get a fit.
2. I run web band thru mine and use quick clips=Heavy duty ones! can be found at wall mart,Then melt webbing with a flame to hold it in clamp end or /and glue,or sew-to clamp end,add some silicone caulk/glue and use tie down around that end.
3. add lead shot,roll back inertube to let you web and tie other clamp end on,add some silicone caulk,roll tube over clamp and use a tie down.

DONT USE ANY LEAD SHOT-OR WEIGHT BAGS IN POOL CLASS! It rips your in big doo!doo!

I would post a pick but its too large of file,PM me and can send you pick if you need.
Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom