drysuit dryer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tommed

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning to make a drysuit dryer much like I have seen posted in past threads on scubaboard. The blower specified in David Dalton's excellent post on the subject, a Torin Dual Blower ACB8400 is no longer available at the store he cited. I have searched the internet long and hard to try to find a suitable blower. Does anyone have an idea as to where I could find this blower or another device that would be suitable? My thanks for any of your thoughts and ideas.

Tommed:
I am planning to make a drysuit dryer much like I have seen posted in past threads on scubaboard. The blower specified in David Dalton's excellent post on the subject, a Torin Dual Blower ACB8400 is no longer available at the store he cited. I have searched the internet long and hard to try to find a suitable blower. Does anyone have an idea as to where I could find this blower or another device that would be suitable? My thanks for any of your thoughts and ideas.

I will try to post pictures of my dryer tonight or tomorrow. I took 'inspiration' from the Dalton dryer and made one with a hair dryer instead. It works pretty well.

Tommed:
Give Dalton a PM...best bet may be dmdalton on www.thedecostop.com

He's got another blower, works great, a couple have been built or modified for it, he has pics, etc., just hasn't gotten around to updating the article yet.

He can give you the site, price, etc.

I decided to use a hair dryer. I think it was a Revlon 1750 (Wal-mart). What I looked for in a hair dryer was one that had the option of high speed and no heat. I think it cost about $12. I used a 2 inch elbow piece which fit the dryer perfectly. It stays in on its own and there is no blow-back. I then reduced it down to 1 inch pipe and used 1 inch for the rest of the dryer except for the hood and boot rack in the front. I used 3/4 inch for that.

I get decent air flow considering the design and the limitations fo the dryer. I can plug up either the suit drying part or the accessory drying rack and get more flow out of the other side as needed.

Total cost was maybe $25. But I had several fittings for the 1 inch pipe and all the 3/4 inch stuff already around the house. So figure another $10 if you have nothing.

Tommed:

Dryer version 2.

Low tech, redundant, no metal on metal.

But seriously, if you get stumped, let me know. I have a Dalton Dryer that I really don't use. I could easily box it up and send it to you for next to nothing, I'm sure.

---
Ken

Best use a blower with a brushless motor or you will be producing ozone and blowing that into your gear. ozone + mostdivestuff = deterioration

M2V ~ Shane wants a dryer, PM me a price.

You don't need a lot of air flow to get the job done, just a small amount of airflow to the feet to keep the relatively moist air moving down and out of the suit.

I used a 6" PC cooling fan mounted in a radio shack project box. It is then plumbed from a hole in the end of the box into the dryer itself. I also got fancy and added a fuse and a switch. Cost was still under $15.00 and it does the job over night with virtually no noise.

Mo2vation, thanks for the offer but I'd like to build a dryer myself, plus Uncle Pug seems to want it. Hex92 special thanks to you for taking the time to post pics of your dryer. It looks slick. I'm probably going to go the hair dryer route as well, but will be looking into the Radio Shack option suggested by DA. Once again thanks to you all.

Tommed

I forgot to add one thing. There were two types of 1" pipe at Lowes. I bought the stuff with the thicker walls since it was a bit more rigid. Or you can step up to the 1.25" pipe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom