Layang Layang

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gee13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Would like to get a lowdown of what the diving is like in Layang Layang. How to get there, costs bracket and types of diving. Is it worth it if I take a 2nd trip back to Sabah or should I go back to Sipadan? How is the pelagic life there?

Been to Sipadan already but not Layang2? Go to LL, I'd say. The diving is awesome. Don't skip the shore dives. Go late-March to June. Fly to Kota Kinabalu and the resort has the only plane chartered that goes the rest of the way and it flies a few times a day. Take alcohol with you if you are into that. Cross your fingers and hope for hammerheads but don't get your hopes too high. The diving is awesome without them.

I went to Sipadan & LL in May. Prefer LL...
The Layang Layang package was from Nemo Travel - Per divers $1732/-. 5D 4N packages = $1055/-, Additional one night = $245/-, Domestic Flight = $382/-, 3 way airport transfer and 1 night stay at Kota Kinabalu = $50/- These prices are in Sgd, only for s'porean & permanent residents (pls check w Nemo)... I think LL is worth the price!

Sounds good, what kind of diving is is to be had there? Do the packages just cover the boat dives? When is the best season/month for Hammerheads? I mean if from late march to june what is the most likely month?

How far in advance should one book to dive LL. Does it have a daily limit of divers per day like Sipadan?

Other than the unlimited shore dives of the jetty - which are normally included in the price and also normally "limited" to a sunset dive - everything else is deep wall dives where you eventually come up to the shallow fringing reef. You have a chance of seeing hammers anytime in that time frame but they never get the memo about when exactly they should make their appearances. The hammers are definitely the top draw but I also greatly enjoyed the rest of the sharks, marble rays, schools of jacks & cuda's, as well as the macro and very healthy reef.

i love the healthy shallow coral reefs there, that was my fave part about LL

n690615210_2783897_3062811.jpg

Does anyone know the DM to divers ratio, and how early is the first dive at LLIR?

Black Manta is running trips to LL and Borneo Banks in May and June this year if you want a LOB option...pick up the boat in KK.

Hi, I have been diving at both Sipadan and LL in the past couple of years. I found LL had stunning corals on the drop offs (I was just amazed by the colours), a wider selection of sharks to see and great for knowing you'll dive drop-offs everyday. Sipadan is turtle heaven - you'll be blown away by the volume of turtles you see on every dive. The downside to Sipadan is that there are limited permits (120) to dive there each day.

LL Resort is open from March - end August. The Hammerhead breeding season is April - May, but they tend to be deep (> 40m). We had one Divemaster to 8/9 Divers. I'd recommend you need to be an experienced, confident certified diver to get the best diving experience at LL as you need to happy diving in strong currents (often down currents) and looking after yourself - but the diving is great.

LL is fairly expensive (around RM3500 plus LLIR flight for a 5D4N Diver Package). But worth it. Enjoy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom