Sipadan no cameras!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor

Contributor
Reaction score
Is this true?
Underwater Cameras, Hand Gloves and Fish Pointers are totally banned in Sipadan
:confused:
Spotted on a website sipadanonline.com

I read that at Sipadan Scuba or Sibadan online website too.. I was told, announced but not being enforced yet...

I was there in dec 2013, dove happily with a camera. Friends were there few weeks back, no issue too.

happy shooting :D

Is this true?
Underwater Cameras, Hand Gloves and Fish Pointers are totally banned in Sipadan
:confused:
Spotted on a website sipadanonline.com

Sabah Parks who are the body responsible for the management of Sipadan have made no such announcments ever. So, on that basis, whatever has been written on these 2 websites is and has always been total BS.

The issue was brought up and discussed at a mid level meeting some years back when discussing conservation of the Island but it didn't go beyond that. Someone it seems has taken it upon herself/himself to add on their own set of rules...

I was there (mabul) last month, the announcement last year never came to anything so there is no camera ban. There IS in theory a glove and pointy stick ban though but a lot of that is individual dive centre policy.

I was there (mabul) last month, the announcement last year never came to anything so there is no camera ban. There IS in theory a glove and pointy stick ban though but a lot of that is individual dive centre policy.

Speaking of the MV Celebes, the only liveaboard in Sipadan, has anyone been on it recently and can report on its condition? I read many reviews on Trip Advisor complaining about condition of the boat, diesel smell in rooms, tanks not getting regular maintenance. I'd like to hear from some of you. We were planning to go near the end of this summer, July/August 2015.

Thanks!

My wife and I went in September 2012, if you call that "recent", The boat is certainly on the "has seen better days" side but we did not notice any more diesel smell than elsewhere. One major problem we did have was that we ran out of fresh water on the last day - after all dives were completed and the boat was back in harbour. That meant no showers for all cabins but for #1 and #2 it meant toilets were out too as those 2 cabins did not use sea-water. We were in #1 and fater 5 hours of waiting of replacement tanks to arrive, we packed our bags and went to the hotel that was literally right across the bay.

On the positive side, the crew were superb. The senior divemaster blamed the exhaustion of water on excessive use by the 5 Japanese divers on board - apparently that is normal with them.

You are right, all of those things are true about the MV Celebes but I would happily sign up for another trip on that boat!!! The crew was stellar and the diving was awesome!!!! We loved it and will plan on another trip on that very boat!
Speaking of the MV Celebes, the only liveaboard in Sipadan, has anyone been on it recently and can report on its condition? I read many reviews on Trip Advisor complaining about condition of the boat, diesel smell in rooms, tanks not getting regular maintenance. I'd like to hear from some of you. We were planning to go near the end of this summer, July/August 2015.

Thanks!

Just returned from Sipadan and can confirm there is still no ban on any of the above items, at least not with the dive operator I went with (Scuba Junkie). However it was unfortunate seeing the excessive/destructive use of fish pointers by certain ethnic groups while diving
:depressed:

How does one use a pointer in a destructive way?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom