Sipadan Permit??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamtodd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is it true you need to prearrange a permit to dive Sipadan? I contacted a dive company and they said I had to book right away to keep a slot. If I need to get a permit, how do I go about getting one? What happens if I just show up there with my dive gear?? Help would be great...

There is a strict limit on permits which allows for only 120 divers per day. To make sure you are one of the 120 you need to get a permit prearranged through one of the dive shops. All of the shops in the Sipadan area should be able to tell you if there are any permits available for the days you will be there, and they will book a permit for you. Payment arrangements vary from shop to shop so you will have to deal with them directly.
If you just show up and the 120 diver limit has not been reached you should be able to obtain one, however I personally wouldn't take that chance.

yes, you need a permit for sure..and they are never guarenteed 100% (you don't actually get a permit until you get there).

when are you thinking of going ? I wouldn't take a chance sooner than 8 weeks away... there's a story on the lonely planet website of a girl getting promised a permit, showing up, and then not getting one.

just showing up? I'm pretty sure you won't get one.

scott

scottfiji,

Do you have any idea which operator promised someone a permit and did not have one when she arrived? I would hate to book a permit with such an operator and then get skunked!!

Do you think that backpacker ops. like Uncle Changs are able to secure permits as easily as the more expensive resorts in the area?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom