Aqua Lung Expands Recall of Buoyancy Compensators Due to Drowning Hazard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

njdiver1

Contributor
Reaction score
The rubber handles can detach as divers are trying to remove the weight pockets to rise to the surface in an emergency.
Recall date: November 12, 2014
Recall number: 15-022

· 1 of 3 photos
· Aqua Lung Axiomi3 buoyancy compensator with weight pockets and handles

·2 of 3 photos
·Recalled SureLock II weight pocket handles

·3 of 3 photos
·Replacement weight pocket handles
[h=3]Recall Summary [/h]Name of product:
Aqua Lung buoyancy compensators with SureLock II weight pocket handles
Hazard:
The rubber handles can detach as divers are trying to remove the weight pockets to rise to the surface in an emergency. This poses a drowning hazard.
Consumer Contact:
Aqua Lung toll-free at (855) 355-7170 from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday or www.aqualung.com and click on Recall Notice for more information.
[h=3]Recall Details [/h][h=5]Units[/h]About 30,000 in the United States and 11,300 in Canada (an additional 110,000 were previously recalled in the U.S. in March 2013)
[h=5]Description[/h]This recall involves all Aqua Lung buoyancy compensator vests with SureLock II rubber handles attached to the weight pockets, including those with SureLock II handles that were replaced in the previous recall. The handles are gray rubber, measure about 2 inches tall by 4 inches wide and extend from the forward end of the ditchable weight pockets. SureLock II handles were installed in most Aqua Lung and one model of Apeks buoyancy compensators including: all discontinued Black Diamond, Pro QD and Pro QDi3 models with serial numbers lower than BB408620. The recall also includes all Apeks Black Ice, Axiom, Axiom i3, Balance, Dimension, Libra, Lotus, Pearl, Pearl i3, ProLT and Zuma models with serial numbers lower than BB408620. The buoyancy compensator’s model name is embroidered on the inside back pad or on the right lobe. “Sure Lock” is molded into the back of the weight pocket. The serial numbers are located on a tag under the back pad of the buoyance compensator or inside the pocket. Earlier models could have the number printed on a tag behind the hook and loop inflator hold down on the left shoulder.
[h=5]Incidents/Injuries[/h]Aqua Lung is aware of an additional 50 reports of the handles detaching from the weight pockets. No injuries have been reported.
[h=5]Remedy[/h]Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled buoyancy compensators and return the two weight pockets to an authorized Aqua Lung dealer to receive a free inspection and free newly-designed replacement weight pocket handles.
[h=5]Sold at[/h]Sporting goods and scuba diving stores nationwide from September 2008 through October 2014 for between $460 and $700 for the buoyancy compensator with the weight pockets.
[h=5]Importer[/h]Aqua Lung America, of Vista, Calif.
[h=5]Manufactured in[/h]China and Mexico
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death associated with the use of thousands of types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Deaths, injuries, and property damage from consumer product incidents cost the nation more than $1 trillion annually. CPSC is committed to protecting consumers and families from products that pose a fire, electrical, chemical or mechanical hazard. CPSC's work to help ensure the safety of consumer products - such as toys, cribs, power tools, cigarette lighters and household chemicals -– contributed to a decline in the rate of deaths and injuries associated with consumer products over the past 40 years.
Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission.
To report a dangerous product or a product-related injury go online to www.SaferProducts.gov or call CPSC's Hotline at (800) 638-2772 or teletypewriter at (301) 595-7054 for the hearing impaired. Consumers can obtain news release and recall information at CPSC Home | CPSC.gov, on Twitter @USCPSC or by subscribing to CPSC's free e-mail newsletters.
http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2015/Aqua-Lung-Expands-Recall-of-Buoyancy-Compensators/#remedy

I contacted my dealer before I went away in October as I had heard about some failures. They said the new bcd still had the rubber handled weight pockets and they weren't aware of any problems. My wifes new libra bcd has the old type rubber handled (second edition) weight pockets and we weren't impressed with the way they clipped in to be honest. She found them difficult to locate and was always getting me to fit them as she was unsure if they were locked in, I just hope the revised ones are easier to locate as well as stronger.

Seriously.... I have to bring my pockets in AGAIN???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are the images that didn't appear in the first post:
AquaLung1LARGE.jpgAquaLung2LARGE.jpgAquaLung3replacement handleLARGE.jpg

We all have ScubaPro GO's, no issue with the weight pockets there. We used to have 1 Zuma and 2 I3 BCD's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have 3 BC's I need to get pocket for...:( ..I guess I better get on the phone and see who has parts....

I have 3 BCs that need new pockets (second time around). Local dive shop has ordered them but nothing has arrived yet. Anyone else having a hard time getting pockets repaired under warranty?

New handles received yesterday and installed in 5 minutes today

151,300 units?
WOW!!!!
And that's just Aqualung.
I had no idea there were that many BCD's sold.
I wonder what the total combined global sales of ALL units by all companies are?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom