Mares Dragon MRS Plus weight releases

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kbkremer1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just purchased a new Dragon BC, not the AT model. I have just got it in the mail today. First, I love it, not even in the water with it yet. Second, I attached the weight system into the pockets to get familiar with them, then tried to pull them out and only one came out. The other handle stitching came apart so as the weight would not release. Now its stuck in there. I called where I purchased it from and they are going to send me a new one. My question is this, how often does this happen? I read some reviews online and they always say that they ordered a second pair to keep due to this problem. How do you get the weight pocket out in a situation like this? Does it have to be sent in to be serviced or is there a way to get pockets to release after the stitching is ripped? Other than that I think its a great BC. Just concerned about the weight pockets. Thanks for any information you can send me.. Keith

Keith,

Thank you for purchasing a Mares BC, I am sorry this happened with the pocket, it should not. The release works when the material is pulled about 1/4 inch. So depending on where is came apart, if you can pull the material (maybe with a plyer) it could release. It is hard to say without seeing it. If you can PM me a picture we can determine what needs to be done.

Regards,

Phil

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I sent the BC back to the place I bought it from. They are going to replace it. What happened was is that where the fabric is stitched together inside the male connector came undone. No way to release the connector, it is stuck in there. All the fabric strap came out so there is nothing to pull on. The place where I ordered it from tried the pockets in their store and the same thing happened to them yesterday. They called a Mares rep and he said that there was a batch that was defective like that. All I want is a functioning BC. I only had it for 1 hour when this happened to me while I was checking it out. I love the Dragon but have read reviews of this happening. I did purchase a extra set of weight pockets cuz the reviews I read said that the same happened to them and the relacement ones were of better quality. And yes, they were Mares MRS Plus. Has this ever been a problem with the pockets that you have heard about? I am getting a relacement BC but am wondering what to do if this happens again. There is no way of getting the pocket out except taking the thing apart which I will not even attemt due to voiding the warranty. I look forward on hearing back from you.. Thanks again Keith

To be honest with you, we have not had this issue for some time. When we first introduced this we had some bad pockets, but we replaced all of these to the dealers. If the problem was there, it happened as with you, even before the BC was in the water.
PM me the dealers name, I will contact them to make sure they have checked and do not have any old stock. Also if you have the Serial number send it to me so I can see when it was produced and shipped.

I am sure you will like this BC.

Thanks,

Phil

I just mailed it back yesterday. I'm not sure if this is a PM. Can you send me a message back to let me know before I send the dealers name?... Thanks Keith P.S........ Or let me know how to send a PM

i have a question regarding my mares dragon bc. i have 2 dives on it, first dive i lost one weight pouch, the second dive trying to find the first weight pouch, i lost the second one. i did double check the pouches to see if they clipped in and i tugged on the inside of the pouch not the red release to confirm locking, and i still lost them, is this a common thing with these bcs, i have been diving my vector with the old pouches for about 9 years now and never lost one before. these new pouches seem to stick out far...could they be releasing if i drag too close to the bottom???

Hey, sorry to hear about that. I had some problems with the weight pockets,if you read my messages before, you will know what. I am getting a new one mailed to me with some new weight pockets. Still have not got it yet, anxious though. How did you like the dragon? Besides the weights. I would pm Phil Mintz, he's the Mares rep. Very helpful with me. Ask him, he can help you. Let me know how you liked the bc. Its my first one, need a dive!!!

well so far, its been fine. i have only 2 dives on it so far and both dives i lost the weights. the other thing i am unsure about the bc, is the trim pockets are inside the back of the bc. it would be impossible for anyone to add or remove weight from there for you, althoe i never had to do that before, i am sure there is a reason for it, its just a different design than my other bcs.but the bc is very comfortable. hopefully phil will read this and have an answer for me about the weight loss.

I answered Jerry in a PM, his issue is different from yours KB. We are getting him some new pockets.

KB, not sure why you don't have yours yet, you should. If they do not arrive by Monday, let me know and I will get it resolved.

Regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,
My wife and I were just in Belize enjoying a wonderful vacation. I have a Dragon and she has the Kaila. We had just finished our 1st dive of the day and I was removing my weight pouches to hand up to the boat captain. First one came out as expected but the second one would not come out. Once on the boat, a closer inspection suggested something had come unsewn. We finished our days diving with the weight pocket stuck. Luckily I did not need to ever drop my weights for an emergency ascent.

After the vacation I was able to take the latch apart and determine that the plastic had broken. On further examination, I noticed the other pocket was broken on one end as well. The BCs were purchased in 2007 and have just 52 dives on them. I have replaced the pockets already.

We both like our BCs but is this a common failure mode? Do I need to plan to replace the pockets every 50 dives?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom