Mares Nemo Excel - Battery Change - Help Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impulse

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I got a problem here. I have a mares nemo excel dive computer and tomorrow I am going to a dive trip. I was checking my equipment and I found out that the computer has the low battery sign blinking. Ohh god, great!

I do not have time to go to the service and wait them replace the battery. But I can go buy a battery and replace it myself if it's possible.

What are your suggestions. Does anybody know how to replace the battery of the mares nemo excel? I do not know the internal structe of the computer put if there is an o-ring sitting in there, should I replace it too togather with the battery? Is there a link to the instructions of replacing the battery of this computer? Any assistance is highly appreciated. Thanks alot.

Hi, I'm afraid I don't have a great solution for you. The battery needs to be changed by our service tech, or an authorized dealer with the certification and tools/machines to properly change the battery. Should you decide to perform this on your own it will void the warranty and increase the chance of a flooding failure.

How long before your trip?

Hello,

Thank you for your answer. I just need to know what is the procedure of replacing the battery? Could you tell me about the procedure please? On leisurepro, it says that the batteries are user replaceable. Is it really too difficult to replace it? Would anybrand of 3v cr2430 lithium battery do the job? Could you send me the manual for replacing the battery?

I have 1 day before the trip. In that time, I can go buy a battery but cannot take the computer to the service. So what would you suggest me do?

There are two notches visible on the top right screen. Would this save 5 45-50 minute dives?

Thank you.

It sounds pretty standard
Flip it over. On the back should be a circle w a slot and it should say something like "Use coin only". Use a coin to turn it counterclockwise and it will come out. Pop out the battery. Insert a new one being careful that in goes in the same way, (polarity). Make sure the cap and sealing surface are clean of any debris. Replace the cap Use the coin to turn it clockwise to the original position. There are probably marks that line up when it's sealed properly.
Of course all this assumes that there is the slotted cap there. If leisurepro is correct in saying that it's user changeable, there will be. It's very easy to do, just be careful and keep everything clean. Do NOT over tighten
I hope this helps

There are 4 screews on the back cap. It's not a slotted cap. My only concern is, when I open the cap, is it possible to use the old o-ring or will I need a new one and replace the old one with this new one?

And also I want to repeat this question : There are two notches visible on the top right screen. Would this save 5 45-50 minute dives?
Thank you.

When a battery replacement kit is purchased a new gasket is included and recommended to be used. Again, I am sorry you are out of time, but Mares position is this must be done by a Mares Lab Technician, or the warranty will be voided. While this may seem to be a simple operation, we have received flooded watches back from consumers taking this responsibility on themselves.

In a low battery scenario, it is not recommended to be completely reliant on the computer. There are many factors dictating battery life, so it is impossible to say how long it will last in the low battery condition.

I wish I had better news for you. I hope you enjoy your vacation either way!

Sincerely,

Ok thanks for your assistance. I called the local Mares dealer here. They have a lab and a technician. I asked them if they change the gasket in the computer when they change the battery or if they run any pressure test after the battery replacement. But they answered both of my questions no. I asked them if it's possible to replace the battery on my own with a fine screwdriver and they said yes, it's not that hard. They also said me something like, the o-ring inside that computer is not that much sensitive so that it's not neended to replace it in the first battery replacement. I think they are not that much responsible. ?

And I also want to do a criticisim to Mares : Why does Mares produce computers that the battery replacement procedure is this much a problem. Some of the computers you produce have the user replaceable battery quality yet some not. I think, a dive computer is one of the most important insturments that a diver needs. So if I have a spare battery, I must be able to replace it even during a dive trip, while on a boat in the midts of the waves. I know that you will going to answer me as "so you must go buy a computer that has the user replaceable battery option" but I insist and say all of them must have this option. Maybe this is a marketing strategy?

Maybe you will think that I am taking my problem to an other level but, there is one more thing I want to point out: I think the battery replacement instructions must be included with this computer. Why hide them from the customers? And also at least a spare battery and a gasket must be included in the box. We customers do deserve this I think.

Thank you.

Will you send to me in a private message the name of the dealer you spoke with? Where are you located? I am beginning to hear an accent?

Thanks very much.

Changing the battery on a Mares Nemo Excel is a relatively easy job.

Source a jewelers flat blate screwdriver and preferably a magnifying device like a 10X loop to check for grit on the seal prior to closing it back up.
  1. Wash the watch in water to remove any tiny grit around the back removable cap.
  2. Dry
  3. Undo the 4 screws
  4. Locate the three clamps holding the battery. Take out the tiny white plastic spacer preventing movement of the largest clamp.
  5. Push aside the space and replace the 3V 2430 lithium battery, same polarity (negative down)
  6. Check for grit on the square frame 'O ring'. Be very careful about this step. This part is delicate and easily stretched out of shape. You can run a line of fine silicone grease around the metal seal surfaces.
  7. Carefully replace the rubber seal and back cap.
  8. Do up the four screws...offset tightening to ensure even closure.
MaresNemoExcel.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom