Anti-venom, anti-sting for stingers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paolov

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
would there be sort of a vaccine for stings from hydroids, jellyfishes, plankton, and other floating things with stings etc. that we could take before diving so that IF and When we get a sting the effects would nto be so **** irritating and even prevent weals from forming?

on the end of a 45 min dive just about 15 meters from the boat and just 5 ft below the surface i got stung on my upper lip. of all places.... i had my hood that covered most of my face that the mask didn't cover.... and there it goes got stung on my upper lip. after 5 mins the sensation really gets you and i got a swollen lip. lasted for about 15 hrs. before it was back to my normal lip.

I don't think one can use a "vaccine" against a venom... perhaps a doctor could chime in?

As far as I know, there is no anti-venom against stingers - It is currently treated by using vinegar to wash/neutralize the stinging cells, and I believe the symptoms thereafter are treated. (I.e if the sting causes a heart attack, then the heart attack is treated.. etc..)

My understanding is that a vaccine can only be used against bio-agents, such as bacteria and viruses - Not against toxins. (But then I'm not a doctor - If there is a stinger vaccine, then I want some...)

E:)

Oh wait, I have a "vaccine"...:D

Just swallow some Tylenol prior to your dive. Yes, that's brilliance!

I've heard and seen that if divers suspect they're carrying stingers then they'll rinse themselves,and gear off with vinegar as soon as possible to avoid the chances of being stung out of the water.

There was a documentary about tiny box jellyfish in Australia. Both researchers were stung while looking at/for the little critters: one on his face, just below the mask; the lady was stung on her arm/hand after removing a glove. Unfortunately they spent quite a while in hospital to get over the stings, as there is currently no anti-venom for it...the silly thing was - despite preaching the advantages of precautions - they only rinsed with vinegar after the stings..

Box jellies suck.

i noticed before, quite some time ago, when i was hyperactive to allergens. i quickly get weals with slight pokes and pressure.

however when i take antihistamines my skin would not go into weals.

not in regard to them stingers ... i was wondering if ther could be a similar effect. take something or rub something that if hit by stingers, it would sort of neutralize it. after all its epidermal stings.....

one more thing. normally divers would be in wetsuits. however, even with a hood on, there would be some skin exposed on the face, and this is where them stingers get me.

i do have a mouth/regulator protector last year... guess what i lost it.... hence this year i went diving without them and sure enough i got stung on the upper lip...

so there you go....

No such thing as an antivenom, etc. Best thing is to have antihistimines, etc in a personal first aid kit and take care of it later. If it gets bad enough, you may want to see your doctor about getting something prescribed like an epi pen, possibly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom