Whale Shark at GA Aquarium Dies...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or maybe he got tired of swimming around in small circles.

What a shame....:shakehead

I watched the CNN video this morning and the exhibit is the size of a football field. That might still not be big enough, but it is big and means the animal would not really be swimming around in small circles. I am sure they kept good care of the animal. I hope we hear the details of the autopsy as much as we hear about the death. :shakehead

I'm sure that there is some serious panic going on at the aquarium until the results of the necropsy determine whether the cause of death could affect the other animals (i.e. parasite, bacteria).

Hopefully it's nothing that can affect the other animals in the tank...
Too bad to hear of the loss of such an awesome creature, but hopefully something can be learned about them from it.

Frankly, I'm surprised it lasted this long. This is highly experimental work, so you're going to crack a few eggs. In this case the "eggs" just happen to be REALLY big fish.

If anybody can work it out, these Atlanta folks can.

Very sad. I visited the aqarium this summer and saw the two whale sharks. They are such magnificent creatures.

The tank that they are in is massive. I forget how many millions of gallons it is, but they were not just swimming around in tight circles.

Hopefully the necropsy will reveal that it was something unrelated to being kept in captivity.

Back
Top Bottom