What kind of shark would make you get out of the water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aidensnd

Reaction score
I just finished reading the shark poll post and it made me wonder which, if any, sharks would make you leave the water?
The only sharks I've seen are White Tip Reefs in Maui but I'm moving to Australia in 2 weeks and plan on seeing a lot more!
I think it goes without saying that Great Whites would motivate most people to exit the area but what else? I don't think I'd be too happy running into a Bull Shark either. Anyone else?

Thanks
Dan

Bull Sharks would get my vote!

Almost any shark can get agitated and dangerous. Signs are arched back, jerky swimming, lowered pectorals. If I see these signs I will get out of the water.
That said, the only shark I've seen act that way when I was in the water was a pair of big bulls, and I did get out.
I would get out if a Great White were in the area regardless of its behavior.
Rick

This was kind of funny. About a month ago, we were in a spearing tourney, and our last drop was a shallow public number in 45 fsw. A guy in the distance was standing in the cockpit of his boat, with wetsuit still on, screaming at us as he watched me and two others donning our stuff. He looked kind of upset, so we motored over to him to see what his issue was. He said he had just finished shooting a couple of grouper and two bull sharks were all over him, following him back to the boat, and acting very aggressive.

We just kind of looked at each other, and debated whether to do the drop. The one guy not dropping saying, "You don't have a hair on your ....." I walked over to the cooler, grabbed a beer, cracked it open, and said, "I was ready for a beer anyway."

I agree with the points made by Rick.

Bulls are scary. I'd actually be nervous with hammerheads too because I'm not sure which one is the really aggressive one. I'd love to see them though. I think most are safe and are even timid.

Any shark can get aggressive and a wise person will exit the water. Sharks that would cause me to exit just by being there are:

1. Oceanic Whitetip
2. Great White

Being fairly new to this, I expect I'd be out of the water after seeing any shark approaching my size. I haven't yet had opportunity to dive in an area with sharks, so i really don't know. I would hopefully have someone as DM in a position to advise.
I had a conversation last summer with a guy, who with his buddy got off a wreck and onto the boat when they spotted a fish larger than they were. Inquiry by the charter operator established it was likely a Sturgeon and an expressed desire on his part to get into the water. :shark:

Kent

Back
Top Bottom