WE NEED TO ACT NOW! Florida's goliath grouper still need our help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walt Stearns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What’s it worth to you to see BIG FISH on the reef? While many of us will be glued to the set watching Discovery Channel’s Shark Week, a Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) meeting will gear up in St. Pete, Florida, August 6, 2007 focusing on yet another large reef predator, the goliath grouper.

This meeting will determine the feasibility of permitting a select group of fishermen to kill 800 adult size goliath groupers in Florida waters. Some of you might say “so what?” Others (hopefully) will respond with “How can the State of Florida do that?” Goliath grouper (Epinephelus striatus) are still Federally protected - since 1990!

Obviously they think they can do that, largely due to pressure from Florida’s fishing community. This small group, in general, consider themselves the primarily user and therefore should be granted the most rights to these waters. NOT.

The tabled discussion will focus on a “research proposal”, backed by the Cooperative Goliath Grouper Research Program (CGGRP). This so called “research” is to be conducted with the assistance of commercial and/or recreational fishers (e.g. for the collection of specimens). Their intent is to obtain “biological samples” (otoliths, gonad tissue, etc.) collected through a “limited harvest program” – that program would be the 800 adult breeding sized fish. “The research would be used to augment information on goliath grouper age, growth, and reproduction, as well as supplement ongoing studies on feeding habits,” according to the proposal. For those fishers participating in the program, the FWC would supposedly issue 800 numbered, plastic “harvest tags.”

Another point in the proposal not covered was how the collected goliath grouper specimens will be handled or delivered to scientists facilitating this “research” with the CGGRP. On closer examination, seeing no plan had even been worked out, one might conclude that this collection plan is nothing more than a loophole to allow commercial fishermen the rights to kill 800 ever-so-important goliaths under the guise of science.

Everyone I have interviewed in the scientific community (most from Florida State University and NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service) connected to goliath grouper studies see this program as “nothing more than an appeasement to specific fishing groups.” And, the notion of the FWC even entertaining this “research” is a really, bad idea.

It has taken the goliath grouper 16 years to make a positive return to Florida waters. Furthermore, concerned scientists see these fish as being anything but out of the woods. Especially when you consider that this species of grouper, under the World Conservation Union (IUCN) (http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/7857/summ) is listed as “critically endangered” throughout its range in the rest of the tropical Atlantic and Caribbean.

At the rate these fish are being hunted in Latin America and the Caribbean waters, two to three years from now, Florida will be the only place left to find them and see them. Provided we learn the right form of protective management.

As a member of our underwater community for years, I’ve been concerned about this fish since 1990, when they were put into protection. I’ve addressed the plight of our ocean’s great fish in Underwater Journal. Big Fish, Going, Going, Gone? (Issue 2) and Uncertain Future (Issue 3). Please join me and take action (I’m going to this meeting). Time is running out. Voice your comments to the following:

Luiz Barbieri (email: Luiz.Barbieri@myfwc.com)
Researcher
Department for Marine Fisheries Research
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
St. Petersburg, FL

Alex Chester (email: Alex.Chester@noaa.gov),
Science and Research Director
Southeast Fisheries Science Center
75 Virginia Beach Drive
Miami, Florida 33149

As long as the harvet is limited to specific areas of the Gulf, I see no problem with it. Jewfish are plentiful in parts of the Gulf. They are starting to make a comeback in SE Florida as well, but are no where near as common in that area as they are off SW Florida.

I think a controlled harvest of Gulf jewfish would ultimately be good for them, just like the Florida alligators.

I just emailed them in reference to this, Thnx

IMHO...something has to be done about them. They have become aggressive and have no natural predators, therefore they have become a burden on the ecosystem.

I cannot remember a dive (wreck or natural) that I have not seen at least one and up to eight. I have seen some that have to be close to 600#.

How many pounds of fish does a 600# GG eat???? Gotta be alot.

just my 2 cents.

Walt Stearns:
On closer examination, seeing no plan had even been worked out, one might conclude that this collection plan is nothing more than a loophole to allow commercial fishermen the rights to kill 800 ever-so-important goliaths under the guise of science.
Walt, I appreciate your concern for these fish.

I used to work for both the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). While at FWC I worked at their Fish and Wildlife Institute which is essentially the headquarters of fisheries research. FWC and NOAA work together to determine legal size limits and harvesting seasons for all of our fisheries. Together they manage our fisheries here in Florida. I used to work with many of the scientists that head up this research at FWC's Fish and Wildlife Institute. I can assure you that nobody at that lab does anything "under the guise of science". The people at FWC's Fish and Wildlife Institute are here to protect our fisheries. They are on our side.... they are hard core environmentalists.

Although local fishermen do have a voice (rightfully so) nobody at that lab is going to allow the fishermen to manage our fisheries. Some of the scientists there even received death threats from local commercial fishermen because of the regulations they imposed on the fisheries.

Unfortunately, some fish must die in the name of fisheries research as may be the case for these some 800 GG. I participated in fisheries research cruises where we collected thousands of samples to get population assesments so that the overall fisheries could be managed. If there is a better way lets hear it.

Let's keep in mind that it is FWC & NOAA's NMFS charter to manage our fisheries not close it down with permanent moratoriums. It is reasonable for a restricted season to open for Goliath Grouper when FWC and NOAA deem it appropriate.

Walt Stearns:
Goliath grouper (Epinephelus striatus) are still Federally protected - since 1990!
By the way Goliath Grouper is Epinephelus Itajara

-Chris

Mr. Stearns,
My name is Rich Taylor. I am the co-principal investigator for a 2 year tagging study (on Goliath Grouper) slated to start later this year.I do not know if the proposed scientific harvest program that you write about will be folded into our program or not.

I have 28 years experience diving the waters of the GOM and Florida. I am an American Academy of Underwater Science (AAUS) certified diver. I have just finished participating in a 2 year study on Hogfish in the GOM.
I am an active participant in both the scientific and management portions of the GOM fishery. And, I also attended the last Assesment on GG grouper where it was determined that we really know very little!!

I appreciate your concern on Goliath Grouper but I'm afraid you have been greatly mis-informed.
Its hard to know where to begin with your post but I'm glad to hear you are comming to St. Pete to participate in the Golath Grouper meeting.I will also be attending the meeting in St. Pete next week and hopefully you will come to the meeting just a little more open minded.
I think you will be made aware of the true facts at this meeting which I can assure you that your not, at this time.

The meeting in St. Pete next week will discuss the possibility of allowing a limited scientific harvest for Goliath Grouper.
Why do we need this?
Simply put, we do not possess the information that your so called "sources" claim we have.
Age, Life history, fecundity, stomach contents on large animals are but a few examples of things that are only obtainable by harvesting the animals.

Most in the diving and fishing community believe that GG have made an astounding comeback! They can be observed in all sizes (sign a healthy population) and all areas of the Eastern Gulf of Mexico(sign of a healthy population) in astounding numbers(sign of a heathy population).

I can assure you that NOBODY in the diving or fishing community wants to see these fish "endangered" or "overharvested".
The best way to assure this does not happen is to study the animals in depth as is done on EVERY single other type of fish.

I can also assure you that the State of Florida does an outstanding job managing fish under its control. The National Marine Fisheries Service would do well to mimick the job Florida has done.IMHO

See you next week,
Rich Taylor

Well said, Rich!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom