Dolphins are sentient beings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
There have been numerous posts regarding the intelligence of dolphins. Listen to this account from a recent Larry King interview. Dolphins come to the aid of the surfer.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Additionally, the same page features the latest between the AUSSIES and Japanese regarding the Antarctic hunt. Go Australia !!!!

X

Wow - I had read about this..but hearing it from his point of view is pretty mind blowing to say the least..? Hits close to home as I dive in Monterey often!

Thanks for posting this X!

Wow - I had read about this..but hearing it from his point of view is pretty mind blowing to say the least..? Hits close to home as I dive in Monterey often!

Thanks for posting this X!

My pleasure. I dove Monterey (as a kid) a day after Jaws debuted on the big screen. I was looking around the kelp to see if I was going to get chomped. It was a serendipitous event having dolphins around. Then again, the dolphins may have been keeping an eye on the surfers. Remarkable.

Additionally, I posted this piece to remind environmentally conscious folks that the Japanese whaling fleet is fast approaching their target destination(s) in the Antarctic sanctuary. Accompanying them will be the boats from Sea Shepherds and Greenpeace. Also, the AUSSIES have joined in by sending a boat to observe.

Bloomberg.com: Australia & New Zealand

In all, the Japanese fishing industry and supportive government are fools fishing under the banner of sovereignty.

:trainwreck:

X

I agree... too bad some people aren't sentient!

I am an acquaintance if not a friend of the guy that was attacked (Todd) and it is still extremely strange to see him on all these shows and articles, he is definitely using a negative to his benefit however so good for him. As for the dolphins, all I will say is (and I only bring it up because of 4 years of marine mammal experience) -- take it with a grain of salt.

The USN had a [classified] program back in the '60s - '70s to train dolphins to attack & kill humans - mostly for use in VN.
The job of "training" them was so difficult that the program was later modified, current details of which I don't have [still classified]. (They're still using dolphins is some areas.)
The old program required hard-wiring the dolphin's brain with electrodes so the "rage" area could be lit up; they'd go after anything in the water.
Dolphins with morals, that is almost indicative of sentience.
As Dr Bill said, too bad some people aren't sentient! :wink:

Latest news on the whaling front:

Japan halts humpback whale hunt - CNN.com

Japan understands (partially) that the world does not support whaling. It will halt Humpback catches. Now it's a matter of getting them to stop their planned Fin and Minke harvests. I am positive that the recent moves by the AUSSIE's have made members of the Japanese Parliament take greater notice.

X

Great news on the end of the humpback hunt. Hope it will soon extend to other species.

Back
Top Bottom